Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Butterscotch Sugar Cookies ~ Cookie Exchange Idea

 Colder weather is the perfect time to use the oven, and try a new cookie recipe (for possibly next Christmas).


I have found some of the best recipes in fiction books.  The latest recipe is from Joanne Fluke's book - Wedding Cake Murder.

I have to confess, that I have not yet read the book.  I had to return it before finishing it.  I'll get it out some day soon.

In the meantime, her recipe for Butterscotch Sugar Cookies are not only delicious, and addicting, but they make a ton!  I'm freezing some to see how well they thaw as well.

I found the recipe on another blog as well (Make My Day Camp).  I'm glad I found her blog, as she talks about cutting the recipe in half, and still getting a lot of cookies.




1. Her (Make my day camp blogspot) measurements for flour are not the same as the recipe in the book.  The book calls for 4 1/4 cups.  Her blog states 4 1/2 cups.



2. I used a 1 Tbsp. scoop, so I baked them for 15 minutes and let them sit on the pan for a minute, then cooled on racks.

3. The cookie by the oven light gets browned more in my oven, so I rotated the baking sheet half-way.

4.  It's best to have 4 large cookie sheets for this recipe, or you are baking all day using smaller ones.  I have 2 large ones, so I plan to buy 2 more large for all my baking needs.



5. I tossed in about a handful of mini butterscotch chips in the batter at the end.

6. The batter is very soft at first.  If you let it sit a few minutes, it will firm up and will be easier to handle.




7. When you flatten the balls of dough on the cookie sheets, use a flat spatula.  After a few times, the dough will stick to the spatula, so dust it with some sugar every now and then to continue flattening the dough balls.

They are a crispy, thin cookie.  They would make great gifts too.  I followed the recipe in the book, cut it in half, used a 1 Tbsp. cookie scoop and got 5 dozen cookies.  

The next time I make them, I may try not flattening them so much, for a chewier center.  I do like them crunchy, and they would be great in a bowl of ice cream, maybe topped with some homemade whiskey butterscotch sauce too.  Oh boy, that would put a person in a sugar coma for sure, but doesn't that sound good?  Maybe for gifting? 

My husband said, they are good, but would prefer a chewy cookie vs. a crunchy cookie.   These are obviously not low fat, nor sugar free.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I love some of the recipes in her books and I bet this one is delicious!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, and she shares so many recipes too. They are very good, but I want to make them one more time, but not flatten then. My husband took them to work to share, and I gave the rest to the kids. Even cutting the recipe in half, you get a ton of cookies.