Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, January 22, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday


Sunday weather started out at 12°F (wind chill of 5°F).  It was snowing as well.



Stray cat chasing a bird?   I have not seen any cats around here lately.  Interesting.  


 

 


Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.



The Weather . . .

19°F  with a wind chill of 8°F


Right now I am . . .

Brewing coffee and posting this blog post.


Thinking and pondering . . .

If you have chickens, are you team "fill the roosts with straw/bedding"  or nothing team?  We put straw in ours, and our eggs are clean.  I was given some eggs a few weeks ago (team nothing in the roosts), and the eggs were very dirty.  Also, since I have not been putting straw in the roosts, they are laying on the floor of the coop, so I'm going back to putting straw inside the roosts.


How I am feeling . . .

Pretty good.


On the breakfast plate . . .


(before they cooled completely)

Egg/sage sausage/cheese cups to go with an oatmeal bake.  When I bake the egg cups, I like to put the solid ingredients in each cup first, then mix up the 6 eggs, 1/4 cup heavy cream (I used Greek plain yogurt and a splash of  milk, salt/pepper and 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and evenly pour it over the other ingredients.  It's just so much easier to evenly distribute the ingredients.  I baked this for 18-20 minutes at 350°F.

By the way, this helps make one pound of sausage make more meals.  I used 1 cup cooked sausage and 1 cup or less of pepper jack cheese that I hand shredded.

Also, I know they are not cheap, but I use parchment cups, because no matter what I grease my pan with, they always stick.


On the lunch plate . . .

Leftovers.


On the dinner plate . . .

Meatballs over wild rice, asparagus or green beans


On the menu . . .

-Cabbage Lasagna
-crock pot meatballs over wild rice or quinoa, roasted green beans
-Chicken sheet pan dinner
-leftovers
-Breakfast:  Egg/ham/cheese low carb quesadillas, Egg/sausage cups, pumpkin pancakes

On the reading pile . . .

Still reading this book.  I'm just lacking reading mojo lately.

On my TV . . .

Netflix - This is Us.


Looking around the house . . . 

One more day of painting, and I will have finished another door.  I have also managed to get more door trim painted.

I'm in full swing on the hallway project as well.  It was the "drop station" for all things that had to be moved for carpet removal.

I have started another donation box, gotten rid of a few things, and now I am focused  on chipping away at our winter project list.


To-do list . . .

Deep Clean - Clean Washing Machine (it has a "clean washer" cycle), clean microwave.  If you do not have a "Clean" cycle on your washing machine, you can buy tablets to toss in your washer and run on a hot cycle to clean your washing machine.

-dust
-laundry
-dishes
-bake a breakfast
-paint one side of a door, prime some door trim

From the camera . . .

(see yesterday's post on my handiwork update)



Devotional, Quote, Prayers . . .




16 comments:

Sandra said...

Good morning Kristina :)

We use shavings for our chicken coop and our eggs are always clean too. I guess there's something to that, isn't there?

I absolutely love your crochet blanket, I need to get back to crocheting, I've missed it so much.

Your menu sounds yummy. I noticed you mentioned low carb quesadillas, are you on a low carb diet? I've talked about it on my blog this morning, but I recently have switched due to my blood test results.

Anyway, have a blessed week.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your egg and sausage and cheese cups look really good. Even better with a hot cup of coffee. I love a clean house, but deep cleaning, not so much, and dusting is my least favorite chore. Visiting your blog was a delight today. I was a stay-at-home mom for many many years. It sounds like it's been really cold there. Bundle up and stay warm. It's cold here too, and we had some snow.

~Sheri

Anne in the kitchen said...

I love the quote about softness vs. survival!

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

No coop but straw makes sense too me. Stay warm and have a great week.

Jean said...

The egg/cheese cups look really good and like something that would be easy to heat up on busy morning. Debated watching This is Us on Netflix, used to watch it hit or miss when it was on regular tv. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Stacy said...

Hi there friend! we pack the coop full of shavings! We have one chicken that for some reason hasn't figured out she needs to sit to lay an egg? She does it standing and if there's not tons of shavings they crack and then the chickens eat them :( No chicken ever needs to know how delicious an egg tastes lol! Ours are pretty clean too, with the shavings. we have a few eggers that lay blue and some that lay green, so they look nice on my counter if they are clean haha! I feel like the shavings help keep the girls warmer too at night. Maybe that's just me being over-protective.
Those egg and cheese cups look delicious! I need some good egg recipes especially since the girls are laying regularly now!
I hope you have a wonderful week!!

Jodi said...

Those breakfast cups look so yummy!! Love the afghan you are working on! Have a great week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, if you go back a post, you can see all a better photo of the afghan. Yes, we eat low carb/low sugar. My husband is diabetic.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Red Rose Alley, the egg cups are very good. Glad you enjoyed my blog.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the Kitchen, I've been reading a lot of good ones recently.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Lis K Thomasson Jung

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jean, my husband and I have not been a fan of any breakfast cup recipe, but we really like the egg/sausage ones with sage sausage.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Stacy, I plan to change up their coop bedding as soon as they move to the new coop. I still have one laying on the ground, but get out to get the egg before any of them crack it or eat it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jodi, thank you. If you go back one post, you can see a better photo of the lap afghan.

Luludou said...

The egg cup muffins look so good! A friend should bring us eggs from her chickens next week, she says she has 'special' chickens.. we should be getting pastel colored eggs.. in the pinks, green and blue. Grandkids will love that! Have a great week

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, yes they are very good. What a nice blessing to be getting some eggs from someone. Have a nice week.