Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, January 19, 2024

This and That


Our new winter egg "basket" as we are in slower egg production, and this helps keep track of the oldest to newest egg.






I made another new recipe by The Real Food Dietitians - Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal.  It is very good, but so far I think my favorite is the pumpkin one.


My pamper me moment - merino wool socks.  They were on sale for $2 at the farm store.  I could learn to knit my own socks, but I've put that off for so many years now.  You never know.  Until then, I bought these to keep my feet warm during this winter freeze.


Entertainer for the Day

 I don't know how I get into such conversations, but I do, and I did.  I not only entertained the dentist at my last appointment, but the dental assistant as well.

It was freezing cold out, so the conversation started there.

I was talking about tending the hens, which led to talking about dressing for the weather.  I mentioned that I always take my cell phone and a house key with me, when I go outside for anything.  They both giggled at my entertainment, when I told them I was once locked out of the house by one of the dogs, in the heat of summer, and had one dog with me.  I had no cell phone, no key and we live in the boonies.  Literally.

I guess I'm traumatized enough to continue to carry both a phone and key after that happened.  Glad I could make them laugh.

Winter Tea

I recently shared a link for a seasonal stress tea recipe via Mennonites Can Cook blogspot.  Well, they shared another recipe the other day for "Winter Blues" tea recipe.  It looks interesting. Here is the link:   Winter Blues Tea.  I think I have all the ingredients to try this, other than the lemongrass and rose buds.  I wonder if I could use my lemon balm?  Is there a big difference in lemon balm and lemongrass?  I used to have lemon grass planted in a pot, but it has since died off.


Comfrey/Bruise Update:



I made us a comfrey mix salve a while back, and for some reason did not post it on my blog.  I will have to do some searching in my recipes to find it.  I have been using it on my bruise from my fall, and it is helping heal.   I may still mix up a few poultices with dehydrated comfrey, depending on how fast/slow this heals.




6 comments:

Mother Em said...

Know you're into making your holistic, healing salves, etc., but if you should buy off-the-shelf, Absorbine Jr. helps with healing bruises. I put on immediately after injury 'before' black-n-blue starts. Sure helps with the pain as well as the bruise. There is also PRO by Absorbine Jr. that is 2X stronger. Just in case you go "Outside" Your Zone!"

Have a great Friday and hope you're safe and warm with this approaching blast!

Carol said...

That is a nasty bruise. Our chickens are not laying as much, but I am still getting close to a dozen eggs a day. I have so many eggs here that I am going to have to start making more egg dishes.

Shug said...

You have a Very good reason for toting your phone and house key with you. We have locked ourselves out of the house several times and for this reason, we keep a well hidden key outside. I sometimes forget where it is hidden. Winter tea sound good and healthy.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, thank you! I will look for that the next time I am out running errands.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, I envy you ha ha! I want boiled eggs for snacking, and the eggs are lacking.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Shug, I have it with me any time of the year, as my husband also insisted, You never know. I almost fell in one of the barns one year, and they have cement floors. It really made me think about that too. The tea does sound good right?