Skip to main content

This and That


Our new winter egg "basket" as we are in slower egg production, and this helps keep track of the oldest to newest egg.






I made another new recipe by The Real Food Dietitians - Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal.  It is very good, but so far I think my favorite is the pumpkin one.


My pamper me moment - merino wool socks.  They were on sale for $2 at the farm store.  I could learn to knit my own socks, but I've put that off for so many years now.  You never know.  Until then, I bought these to keep my feet warm during this winter freeze.


Entertainer for the Day

 I don't know how I get into such conversations, but I do, and I did.  I not only entertained the dentist at my last appointment, but the dental assistant as well.

It was freezing cold out, so the conversation started there.

I was talking about tending the hens, which led to talking about dressing for the weather.  I mentioned that I always take my cell phone and a house key with me, when I go outside for anything.  They both giggled at my entertainment, when I told them I was once locked out of the house by one of the dogs, in the heat of summer, and had one dog with me.  I had no cell phone, no key and we live in the boonies.  Literally.

I guess I'm traumatized enough to continue to carry both a phone and key after that happened.  Glad I could make them laugh.

Winter Tea

I recently shared a link for a seasonal stress tea recipe via Mennonites Can Cook blogspot.  Well, they shared another recipe the other day for "Winter Blues" tea recipe.  It looks interesting. Here is the link:   Winter Blues Tea.  I think I have all the ingredients to try this, other than the lemongrass and rose buds.  I wonder if I could use my lemon balm?  Is there a big difference in lemon balm and lemongrass?  I used to have lemon grass planted in a pot, but it has since died off.


Comfrey/Bruise Update:



I made us a comfrey mix salve a while back, and for some reason did not post it on my blog.  I will have to do some searching in my recipes to find it.  I have been using it on my bruise from my fall, and it is helping heal.   I may still mix up a few poultices with dehydrated comfrey, depending on how fast/slow this heals.




Comments

Mother Em said…
Know you're into making your holistic, healing salves, etc., but if you should buy off-the-shelf, Absorbine Jr. helps with healing bruises. I put on immediately after injury 'before' black-n-blue starts. Sure helps with the pain as well as the bruise. There is also PRO by Absorbine Jr. that is 2X stronger. Just in case you go "Outside" Your Zone!"

Have a great Friday and hope you're safe and warm with this approaching blast!
Carol said…
That is a nasty bruise. Our chickens are not laying as much, but I am still getting close to a dozen eggs a day. I have so many eggs here that I am going to have to start making more egg dishes.
Shug said…
You have a Very good reason for toting your phone and house key with you. We have locked ourselves out of the house several times and for this reason, we keep a well hidden key outside. I sometimes forget where it is hidden. Winter tea sound good and healthy.
Mother Em, thank you! I will look for that the next time I am out running errands.
Carol, I envy you ha ha! I want boiled eggs for snacking, and the eggs are lacking.
Shug, I have it with me any time of the year, as my husband also insisted, You never know. I almost fell in one of the barns one year, and they have cement floors. It really made me think about that too. The tea does sound good right?

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart