Skip to main content

Easy Peasy Cheddar Cheesy ~ Healthy Garlic Cheddar Biscuits ~ Tales of an Accidental Baker

The wind chill was a perfect time to bake a side dish to go with our big pot of chili.  I typically make a buttermilk cornbread, but we have to keep an eye on my husband's diet.

By the way, this morning we woke up to 23°F outside!  Wind chill is 14°F.  Feels like a heat wave after that sub zero weather we've had.

I resurrected this draft (while looking for something else), that I have had for a few years now. I have no idea who gave me the recipe, but there are so many variations of them.

I can't make this stuff up, ha ha!  

First, my "whoopsie" below happened from using my recipe in my recipes, not off of this blog draft (thankfully).

It wasn't until I made them again, that I realized my blog draft said "baking soda" and my home recipe stated "baking powder."  Had I not even found this draft, messed them up again, and looked at both recipes, I would have never noticed until someone else baked them. 

Photo is when I forgot to add the baking powder (baked for 10 minutes), and they were still very good!  I said something to my husband about how they were small-ish.  He said, "I like them that way."

Funny story (again), the very first time I made them I left out the butter, and they were still good.



I made them again, but this time used the correct ingredients.  They are taller, but I still want to make them again, and swap the sour cream with greek yogurt (just to try).


 Call me the experimental cook?  Accidental baker?  Oh boy, ha ha!


They are delicious, and a nice substitute for cornbread if you, or a loved one is watching their sugar/starch. Top them with a bit of butter, and they will not last long in the house.

 Here is the recipe for the "Low Carb" Garlic Cheddar Biscuits I made the other day:


1 1/2 Cups Organic almond flour (superfine)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder (non-gmo)
1/2 tsp. homemade garlic powder (organic)
1/2 tsp. homemade onion powder (organic)
2 large farm fresh eggs
1/2 cup organic sour cream (or homemade)
4 Tbsp. organic butter, melted
1/2 cup organic shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.  Mix wet ingredients, then add we to dry and mix well.

I lined my muffin pan with parchment cups for easier removal (which worked great), otherwise use a non-stick spray.


Makes 12 muffins. Batter is slightly thick, but bakes up so nice.

Bake at 450°F for 10-11 minutes.  

Note:  I sometimes freeze organic sour cream, and had thawed it, stirred it and used it in this recipe.  It will be a thinner texture of sour cream, but worked great for baking.

Comments

Katie C. said…
Can I use AP flour since I don’t have any almond flour?
I will certainly give this a try
Katie C. I do not know if it will work with AP. I would google substitutions maybe?
Anne, we love these, and whip up easy and quick.
Shug said…
YUM..these look so good. They look similar to Red Lobster's garlic biscuits that my husband loves. This will definitely be a recipe I will be trying. thank you for sharing.
Shug, they are pretty good. Two of the kids came over and took them home, so I had to make them again ha ha!
Leigh said…
This is definitely on my must-try list. I'm thinking they'd be perfect with soup.

Experiments and accidents are great! You never know what will happen, and I find that there are really very few things that fail to the point of not edible. (Plus I have a husband who loves to eat. :)
Leigh, my husband laughed and laughed when I told him I forgot an ingredient more than once ha ha! They are very good though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart