Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, January 21, 2024

. . .from the handiwork journal

Snow storms have been moving in all around us, but it's soon turning to nastier weather.  

It's a perfect time to use up yarn, and work on larger crochet projects.  Large blankets only get crocheted in the cold of winter.  


Do you remember this random blanket I crocheted in the winter of 2022/2023?   I used up some yarn from leftover projects, and I dug it out during this freezing cold weather we are having.  I sewed in the last of the ends.  My husband wants to keep it.  I had planned to just sell it, but it is larger (approx. 72 x 56 inches) and will fit the spare bed perfectly.

(link goes to my blogpost regarding the pattern I used)  I really like the pattern, but I do not like the enormous amount of ends to sew in.


. . .I finished a matching hat to the scarf.  It is Red Heart yarn, and not my favorite for a hat and scarf, but it's warm and comfortable.  Hat pattern is Mountain Ridges Crochet Hat, by The Friendly Red Fox (free pattern online).  However, her pattern says "J" hook, and I used an "H" hook with medium worsted weight yarn.

It is the same yarn as the scarf I finished last week.  The remaining yarn will be used for scrap lap afghans I think.  The pattern for the scarf is by "Hooked by Robin" called Easy Crochet Scarf (online video tutorial).  I think this is my favorite scarf pattern so far.

Yarn for both scarf and hat - Sutherland Stripe, Red Heart Super Saver.  I used an entire skein for the scarf, but length is always up to you.  



. . .another lap afghan on the hook to eventually donate.  I donated to two places last winter, but I am getting concerned about not getting a response back from one location this winter.  I will have to make a few phone calls.  Colors are from Red Heart yarn, soft white, petal pink, and Lt. raspberry.

I have a lot of pink yarn right now.  Some of the brighter ones were for crocheting nail polish Christmas ornaments, but the rest I purchased to make Mom a blanket using the first pattern on this post.  I never got the chance to even start one, so I may be doing more lap afghans.  I guess we'll see.




. . .another larger ripple blanket on the hooks.  I'm using up some leftover yarn from my daughter's cardigan, and some from the last blanket and craft show items.  I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the color combination, but it's on the hook.  By the way, I bought the yarn for the cardigan years ago, based on their suggestion of how much for the size I crocheted.  I have more leftover, so I hope this blanket uses it up and looks good.  I'll be back to update, and share the colors I used.

I have a feeling this blanket will continue into next winter.  I am really working hard on our winter project list right now, so my handiwork time is limited for now.


. . .what would you use leftover cotton scrap yarn for?  The only thing(s) I can think of, are random cup/mug coasters and face scrubbies.  I may contact the school to see if the art teacher can use it.  The leftover balls are too small for rug making.  I don't think there is enough yarn on the balls to make lip balm holders either.

I dug out my journal, so I can make written records on what colors I used for certain projects, and to note patterns, hook size etc.

There are more projects on the hooks, but I was too lazy to go photograph them.  I really need to get the doily finished.  It's been a year now, but it's smaller stitches.  I just need to get in the mood to work on it.


. . . from the handiwork journal  © Jan 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

8 comments:

Mother Em said...

Just use the scraps for a lap afghan ...who cares if it doesn't look "perfect" like you would do... it's the warmth and comfort of a handmade item. I'd buy it! Would there be enough for that cute hat? Again, don't care about the colors. It'd be different.

13 this morning; shudda stayed in bed! Have a great Sunday and week ahead.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, this bag is cotton yarn, and the leftover scraps are not big enough for much. I'm going to see if the art teacher at the local school can use it.

Leigh said...

I love the 6-day blanket pattern. It's lovely.

I would use the leftover scrap yarn in weaving projects. I've just been researching freeform Saori weaving and it would be perfect for that.

Carol said...

I love the colors you have on the hook.

R's Rue said...

Love it.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, that pattern is very pretty for sure. The author of the pattern shares a helpful chart with yarn and hook and size you want to make too. I will have to look that weaving up. Thanks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Carol

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you R's Rue