Skip to main content

. . .from the handiwork journal

Snow storms have been moving in all around us, but it's soon turning to nastier weather.  

It's a perfect time to use up yarn, and work on larger crochet projects.  Large blankets only get crocheted in the cold of winter.  


Do you remember this random blanket I crocheted in the winter of 2022/2023?   I used up some yarn from leftover projects, and I dug it out during this freezing cold weather we are having.  I sewed in the last of the ends.  My husband wants to keep it.  I had planned to just sell it, but it is larger (approx. 72 x 56 inches) and will fit the spare bed perfectly.

(link goes to my blogpost regarding the pattern I used)  I really like the pattern, but I do not like the enormous amount of ends to sew in.


. . .I finished a matching hat to the scarf.  It is Red Heart yarn, and not my favorite for a hat and scarf, but it's warm and comfortable.  Hat pattern is Mountain Ridges Crochet Hat, by The Friendly Red Fox (free pattern online).  However, her pattern says "J" hook, and I used an "H" hook with medium worsted weight yarn.

It is the same yarn as the scarf I finished last week.  The remaining yarn will be used for scrap lap afghans I think.  The pattern for the scarf is by "Hooked by Robin" called Easy Crochet Scarf (online video tutorial).  I think this is my favorite scarf pattern so far.

Yarn for both scarf and hat - Sutherland Stripe, Red Heart Super Saver.  I used an entire skein for the scarf, but length is always up to you.  



. . .another lap afghan on the hook to eventually donate.  I donated to two places last winter, but I am getting concerned about not getting a response back from one location this winter.  I will have to make a few phone calls.  Colors are from Red Heart yarn, soft white, petal pink, and Lt. raspberry.

I have a lot of pink yarn right now.  Some of the brighter ones were for crocheting nail polish Christmas ornaments, but the rest I purchased to make Mom a blanket using the first pattern on this post.  I never got the chance to even start one, so I may be doing more lap afghans.  I guess we'll see.




. . .another larger ripple blanket on the hooks.  I'm using up some leftover yarn from my daughter's cardigan, and some from the last blanket and craft show items.  I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the color combination, but it's on the hook.  By the way, I bought the yarn for the cardigan years ago, based on their suggestion of how much for the size I crocheted.  I have more leftover, so I hope this blanket uses it up and looks good.  I'll be back to update, and share the colors I used.

I have a feeling this blanket will continue into next winter.  I am really working hard on our winter project list right now, so my handiwork time is limited for now.


. . .what would you use leftover cotton scrap yarn for?  The only thing(s) I can think of, are random cup/mug coasters and face scrubbies.  I may contact the school to see if the art teacher can use it.  The leftover balls are too small for rug making.  I don't think there is enough yarn on the balls to make lip balm holders either.

I dug out my journal, so I can make written records on what colors I used for certain projects, and to note patterns, hook size etc.

There are more projects on the hooks, but I was too lazy to go photograph them.  I really need to get the doily finished.  It's been a year now, but it's smaller stitches.  I just need to get in the mood to work on it.


. . . from the handiwork journal  © Jan 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Mother Em said…
Just use the scraps for a lap afghan ...who cares if it doesn't look "perfect" like you would do... it's the warmth and comfort of a handmade item. I'd buy it! Would there be enough for that cute hat? Again, don't care about the colors. It'd be different.

13 this morning; shudda stayed in bed! Have a great Sunday and week ahead.
Mother Em, this bag is cotton yarn, and the leftover scraps are not big enough for much. I'm going to see if the art teacher at the local school can use it.
Leigh said…
I love the 6-day blanket pattern. It's lovely.

I would use the leftover scrap yarn in weaving projects. I've just been researching freeform Saori weaving and it would be perfect for that.
Carol said…
I love the colors you have on the hook.
R's Rue said…
Love it.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Leigh, that pattern is very pretty for sure. The author of the pattern shares a helpful chart with yarn and hook and size you want to make too. I will have to look that weaving up. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart