Skip to main content

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix (Question) ~ Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels


We are getting just a wee bit of snow this weekend.  We literally did not get a lick of work done Saturday (if you read our winter project list I posted recently).  We did a lot of "window" shopping to check prices on supplies for the winter project list.  Only one hardware store had an attachable ladder shelf, which required a half hour drive.  I can now paint with lot more ease.  The ladder we are using to paint and do work, does not have a shelf, nor the smaller ladder.  We also needed the odor killing primer, which only one store had in stock, and only on can left on the shelf.

The prices for anything right now are so over the top, it is mind boggling.  How can anyone afford to even buy groceries right now?  Due to the cost of paint, we will do a re-check on what paint is leftover from other rooms, re-calculate, and see if we can use any for the hallway.  We priced light fixtures, mirrors, and other items, and could not believe the price of mirrors for the bathroom.  We came home to look at ours, and we cannot take off the hardware and frame them either.  They were installed used, and the mirrors are scratching off the edges.  Anyway.  The cost of anything is crazy high right now.

On a good note:  one large box of donations and one huge bag of random baskets were all donated on our day road tripping for supplies.




Although it is so convenient to buy the ranch packet dip at the store, the ingredients are not healthy.  If you google the top two ingredients, they are basically of a form of some sort of sugar/flavoring.  The packet also contains bioengineered (gmo) ingredients.  They also just say "spices" so what is that?




 Back in the day, I found a recipe for homemade Ranch Dressing (Simply Scratch, online) making our own dry mix and using that for making the homemade dressing.

The post to the recipe link is HERE.  The recipe is very extensive, and I have to buy my dried chives, because the last time I tried to dehydrate my own from the herb garden, they blew all over in the dehydrator.  If you have a tip for this, please share.  

My question is, do any of you have a tried and true dry ranch mix (homemade) for using as a dip?  One that perhaps has less ingredients, but tastes good?  We like to add it to a container of blended cottage cheese to dip fresh vegetables in.




Living up to our motto, I had four opened bags of different (non-gmo) pretzels.  I wanted to try a new recipe, but I should have made a half batch of these, and used the other half for whiskey stix.  Anyway, I mixed them all up and tried Cinnamon sugar pretzels.  They are good, but I made too much lol.  I will need to gift some to the kids perhaps.  It's an easy recipe for a make and take food for gatherings (recipe is from The Southern Lady Cooks online).  Did you know that Snyder's now makes non-gmo pretzels?


Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix (Question) ~ Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels © Jan 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

I need to break myself from the ranch dressing packets. I keep meaning to just make my own - it’s about convenience. I don’t care for bottled dressings anymore. Sometimes I just use oil and vinegar on my salad. Ranch is my favorite.
Debby, it really is convenient. I will dig around on the world wide web and see if I can find a more simply recipe. Unless someone shares one here.
GrammaGrits said…
I've used one from Tightwad Gazette for many years - great and I don't have to buy any special ingredients! You can find it online if you just Google Rightwad Gazette Ranch Dressing Recipe.
GrammaGrits, thanks! I just looked for the recipe and found it. I will give it a try for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart