Skip to main content

The garden is in!!

 The garden is finally in.  I just have to drop some zinnia and dill seeds this morning before it rains, and put my garden cart back where it belongs.

I bought a pack of 25 wooden, 5 foot tomato stakes online and got it shipped free to the house.  Funny story about the tomatoes.  

I was planting when Daughter K called.  She asked if she would be the one getting any extra slicer tomatoes.  I would always grow them for Mom.  Guess who hopped in the truck and went and bought her a plant in the middle of planting?  Yep. That was me, but I also got me an extra hot banana, as mine did not all sprout.

You know it was a long day in the garden, when you don't see me post so early today.  I slept very well, ha ha!

Our friend came over and cleaned all the metal out of the burn pile.  He loaded up his truck and that job is done as well.

I painted one more cabinet door, and cleaned some of a junk drawer out.  Then I called it a night.

We have one kitchen drawer, that my husband dubbed his.  Well, the tracks keep breaking on it, due to the weight in it.  He tried to blame it on me, but guess who took all the tools, and heavy stuff out?  Yeah, I did.

I sent him a photo of this, and asked what the heck does this go to?  He had no idea.  Guess where it went?  I ran it outside before our friend left and added it to his scrap pile, ha ha!  The garage and all his tools will be so organized by fall.  I found my water spigot splitter that I lost years ago too,  ha ha!  Anyway, that drawer is painted and back in place.

The rain is to arrive around noon today, and the garden will love it.  Oh, by the way, the Etsy seller that was the only one I could find online with organic music garlic, fizzled out.  Order was never shipped, and I got zero responses from sending messages.  So....I had to go into my stash left from last year and plant asap.  I had to cut the amount down by about 20 cloves, but it's planted.  Tomatoes rank at the number 112 this year. All paste, but 2 slicer plants and one cherry tomato.

I planted 55 hot peppers, and one is new - golden cayenne.  Planted 33 bell peppers, and two types of lettuce.  We didn't get to plant everything we wanted this year like peas and potatoes, but I'm happy with what I got in considering everything that was going on this year.

I finally got the herbs planted as well, and after the rain will tackle weeding it, as well as the flower beds.




Comments

Debi said…
You have been very busy and productive. Things in the house tend to get pushed back at this time of the year because of the garden and this year we added four more beds, built a fence and started as many plants from seed as we could. Now it's time to get things planted and watch them grow! Have a great weekend!
Debi, we had plans to add more beds this year too, but with his work hours it is impossible. Next year we hope to add more. We plan to make sure we have extra for the kids with these food prices so high.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart