Skip to main content

Rain ~ Baking Day ~ Mowing Day

 Although we didn't get a lot of rain during the day yesterday, we got a good amount last night.

I took advantage of it, and did some baking.  I make Mom's favorite snack (just because), and I tried a new recipe (as well as a 2 crock pot dinner - hot pepper mustard sauce over meatballs in one and sweet potatoes/thyme/garlic in another).


The new recipe?  Bacon, cheese, jalapeno bread.  I used the frozen jalapenos from last year's garden, estimating "2" jalapenos, and left the seeds in (that is the way I freeze them).  We both loved it!  I'm adding the recipe to my "taco" night family get together.  It took time to make it, and a lot of ingredients, but so good!  I added the optional green onion, because the herb garden is producing well, although needs weeded badly.

Daughter K arrived for another pick up, but did not bring her trash bags down stairs.  I was busy in the kitchen, and didn't realize it until she already left.  Anyway, more is out of my front room and upstairs.

Painting continues.  I can only paint one thing on the saw horses due to humidity, and the AC remains off.  The mowing was done.  There was a window of opportunity in the day, where the sun came out, before the rain came back.

I worked for a bit in the utility room, but that is limited due to all the bathroom stuff put in there.  We are still waiting on our hired help to start gutting the smaller bathroom, which reminds me, we still need to buy the flooring for in there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart