Skip to main content

Let the planting begin!



Sharing some early blooms.  Don't mind the weeds, I haven't had time to get to that yet.

Planting the vegetable garden has begun.  All by my little ol' self, and I was not looking forward to doing it alone this year.
Spent the entire (well most of it) out there, and I'm not done.  I still have to plant the bell peppers and all of the hot peppers yet. There is a lot we are not able to plan due to my husband's miserable long hours.

He hired someone to till for us, and even tried to hire me help with the "take back the kitchen" painting project, and attempted to hire me help with the garden.  The truth is, is that everyone we know works, works and has a garden, has a garden, or is busy with other such stuff.

I'm more than exhausted and welcome today's rain. It better rain anyway.

We have had some beautiful 70's weather lately, and I'm thrilled we haven't had a reason to turn the AC on yet.  I got the vents cleaned, but not the filters and as I look inside it is dirty.  I will attempt to find a gadget to get that cleaned, but not sure it will work.  Anyway, the rain is to arrive today, and like I said, I much welcome it with all the planting I did yesterday. 

I updated my garden journal, because last year I was terrible at that.  There was so much going on in the fall that I just plum forgot.  My husband's sister passed away, then Mom's health declined.  It was just a roller coaster season for sure.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart