Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Banana Peel/Water for Tomato Plants ~ Hot Day!

 

Has anyone tried this with your tomato plants?  I keep seeing it shared online.  You put a banana peel in a jar, add water, let it sit for 1-2 days then pour it at the base of you tomato plant for a better harvest, bigger plant etc.  There are so many different directions to make this as well.  Some say cut the peel up, only let it sit one hour.  Then there are dehydrated recipes to chop the peel up with egg shells.  Any tips on this would be appreciated.  I already crush and drop egg shells in the garden.

It's going to be even hotter today, and my husband insisted I stay out of the garden today.  I'll water, even though it says it will rain, because if I don't it won't rain.

I actually got some crochet time in yesterday, and created something new.  I'll be sure to share a picture soon.



4 comments:

Carla said...

I do this regularly, only I have only about 20 tomato plants. They say the potassium from the bananas are good for the plants.

I can't tell you if it is effective, as I use it on all my tomatoes. I guess it might be worth it to try it on some and not others to see if it actually helps.

I just put the banana peel - un-chopped - into a quart jar and fill it with water. I let it sit 1-2 days until it's a bit slimy and then pour it out on 2-3 plants. I don't do eggshells as I have critters that would love an excuse to come dig up my garden in search of eggs. For that reason I don't put a raw egg in the hole before planting my tomatoes either.

Debi said...

I've seen the banana tip too but I've never tried it. I'm a bone meal, blood meal and eggshell tomato planter!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Carla, I have poured it on two plants so far. I have way too many to do them all, but will watch them and see what happens.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, thanks, will try blood meal as well.