Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, May 9, 2022

Happy Homemaker Monday

Mother's Day this year was a bit on the rough side, but my wonderful family got me thru it.

First, we talked about my husband booking an appointment with Daughter E for a much needed haircut.  She was booked solid, so I texted and asked if she could make a special house call, considering Sunday is his only (and only) day off.

Second, we needed to be home at noon.  A lady was coming with her Dad to look at the pie safe, and she was out the door with it in minutes.  She loved it.  One piece of furniture sold and two more to go now.

My husband cleaned up the front porch, Daughter K helped put furniture on it, and the burn pile was finally burned down.

My husband, myself, and Daughter K drove to the cemetery to visit Mom.  I wasn't surprised to see that my previous flowers were gone (that was a terrible wind storm in March).  I will need to buy more for Grandma and Grandpa's now.

I have to say, I think this year was the best Mother's Day I've had in a long, long time.



Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

The weather . . .
We are finally getting a week of warmer weather.  I'll be putting the plants out to harden (although we expect more rain).  We are starting to pull last year's carpets and plastic and get the tilling rolling.


As I look outside my window. . .
My porch needs hanging baskets.  It's on the shopping list.


Right now I am . . .
Finally washing a bed quilt to hang on the clothesline.


Thinking and pondering . . . 
We are still looking to hire help for the front room, but until then, I need to go upstairs and make a space for the treadmill, so that can be moved out of the way next weekend.

Oddly, my kids did not get me any flowers for Mother's Day, so I plan to make a trip to town and buy myself flowers for my birthday.


How I am feeling . . .
Good.  It took a few weeks, but I am finally on my husband's 12 hour work schedule and was up to enjoy coffee with him.



On the breakfast plate . . .
Broccoli/bacon breakfast casserole, coffee


On my reading pile . . .
I finally finished my current book!  I got reading time on the porch, while my husband replaced both window motors for Daughter K.  Both of her windows were not working.


On my TV . . .
Last movie was All Together Now.


On the menu . . .
-Lasagna stuffed chicken, home grown asparagus and steamed broccoli
-breakfast for dinner
-something with stew beef, veggie
-flounder and a veggie
-try a new peanut butter pie recipe
-leftovers

Looking around the house . . .
It's getting there, but the kitchen is still not put back together.  I am doing my best, but this week will be garden work split up with kitchen work.  I need to paint more floor trim, so we can put it back in it's rightful place.


The to-do list . . .
-bake a breakfast
-check asparagus
-laundry
-pay a few bills
-buy chicken food
-paint in kitchen, paint floor trim
-shampoo living room (I'll have to do this for Mom's furniture until we start tearing out the carpet)
-put sticky paper down on my kitchen keyboard tray
-clean old bike trunk with leather cleaner and put it up for sale
-make more homemade taco mix
-vacuum carpets
-

From the camera . . .
So happy to have grandkids for the day yesterday.



Prayers . . .
Our biker friend Aaron, who had hernia surgery, and had complications and was back in the hospital. Last I heard, he was still in the hospital.


8 comments:

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

I was missing my Mom on this Mother's day too. Holidays are still hard she loved them so much. Look like you have been busy. I am with you on the warm weather.

mamasmercantile said...

How wonderful to spend time with the grandchildren. So happy that you had a good Mothers day.

Debi said...

Sounds like you had a busy, but nice Mother's Day. I didn't get to see any of my children. Two live out of town and the one who lives here was working. I did get to video chat with my daughter in VA so that was nice and my ex-daughter in law brought me a beautiful hanging plant. Mostly it was just another day. Hope you have a great week.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, I'm so enjoying this weather right now. I just have to get past the bees to get my garden bag. The bumblebees are terrible this year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you mamasmercantile

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, thank you. Good to hear you can still get in touch with kids. Have a nice week too!

Jean said...

Glad you had a nice Mother's Day. Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Luludou said...

Glad you had a good mother's day and got to enjoy the grandkids.
Have a great week