Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, November 19, 2020

Chicken Coop ~ Dog Fencing ~ House Cleaning

 

If you have been following along with my blog, you read about the coop massacre and the emergency purchase of a used coop.  Well, although it is keeping my ladies safe and sound, it is a pain in my royal rump.  Literally.

I have no idea why someone in their right mind would build it that way, so I have printed out what I want built in the spring (above photo).

The fenced side will be on the other side of the coop itself, but you get the idea.  

So what's wrong with the one we have now?  Well....

The inside is not conducive to roosting nor cleaning.  It's not that big either.  The lower sides are where they are to roost and lay eggs.  They tops of those extended parts have no way to get the eggs (does not lift up).  I have to crawl inside to get the eggs.  The door?  If it swings back closed, I'm locked in.  The heat lamp is inside and wired so we could wire it to the garage for heat, but the chickens have flown around inside and already broken the lamp that it came with.  The photo was taken before we got the ramp out and fenced it, but anyway....the ramp is slick in rain, frost and snow and I have to climb up it to get inside.  To do that, I have to (which we added)  a hook and eye screw to hold the door open so I am not live streaming from inside the coop for help.  When I do that, the hens all come outside while I get eggs.  So, come winter, I would have to deal with this and hope I don't slip off the ramp and fall.

Unless we figure a way to be able to lift up those lower sides.  We were going to cut a hole in the very back for a small door, but they are laying all over the coop now.  For a long time, they all laid their eggs in the very back corner.  Not anymore.  Sigh.

Again, shaking my head why they built it this way.  It's almost impossible to clean. I can't stand up in it at all.

So....working on getting my husband to agree to build a better design and sell this one.  Crossing my fingers.  Sounds like I'm ungrateful, but I'm very grateful, just frustrated.

This may be a repeat, but my husband found a 10 x 10 x 6 foot high metal panel dog fence.  The price?  Three cases of beer.  Seriously.  A co-worker is bartering it to us.  We have to go pick it up yet.  Once that is up, I will be a very happy dog Grandma.
(just ignore that wrinkled tablecloth)
(still searching for a shade for my oil lamp)

(ornaments on display hooks, candles inside them light up)

I've been tidying up the kitchen this week.  One small area at a time.  I've explained to the kids, that if they see an area cleaned up, keep it that way.  Once I have order in the house (again), I'll restart at decorating for Christmas.

Done!  My computer/bill paying station area in the kitchen is cleaned up, papers filed, cookbooks put away, craft and crochet patterns filed, one recipe filed, counters sanitized.

Gulp!  I found printed recipes to try.  I.  Have. Got. To. Stop. Doing. This.

I purged one cookbook and one kitchen utensil.

Sad and glad I didn't book a cabin for Christmas.  I am sure, the way things are going for us in our state, travel bans will be put in place by then.  We are now under a mandated curfew.  All retail businesses must close at 10pm, and everyone must be in their homes from 10pm to 5am.  It doesn't apply to 3rd shift manufacturing jobs, take out services, ER, Pharmacy etc.

4 comments:

JustGail said...

The door automatically latches when it closes?! I wonder if there isn't some way to run a rope or chain to inside to unlatch it if that's the case...

Cockeyed Jo said...

Kristina, we had a similar problem with the readymade coop. Where the roof slants in for the laying boxes, we removed them and placed a hinge at the top so it was a lift up top. We attached hasps at the lower end to secure them closed. A simple hook locks it. To keep the rain out of our alteration we attached another row of shingles to the bottom of the upper roof so it formed an overhang to cover the hinged area.

The readymade coops aren't really made for practical long term use.

Your beer payment isn't all that strange to me. I have a brother who fixed my air conditioner and heater for beer and the cost of parts. I had a carpenter friend who would build me anything and trade his labor costs for loaves of my wheat and honey bread, or raison-cranberry bread. I had an auto mechanic who bartered me car repairs for my bread and butter pickles. Now, I have a handyman who trades me his labor for making and canning his grandmother's chow chow recipe. He supplies the ingredients.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

JustGail, I installed a hook and eye screw, but have to open the door all the way and latch it to ensure I don't get locked in. However, I don't want to do that all winter long either. Not sure what we'll do. They are laying all over the coop, so I can't just fix one side to flip up and open over winter. We may have to do both sides with locks of course.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, the people we bought the coop from built it themselves. Not sure if they bought it as a kit or not, but we will have to do what you did. And secure a roofing so the rain stays out too.