Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, November 26, 2020

This and That



 
Let's talk about English Muffin rings.  I had no idea these things even existed.  Do any of you have them and use them, and if you have them, do they help in the rising/baking process?

Where is a good place to purchase a wool pressing mat?

Let's talk pie.  Does anyone have a really good homemade butterscotch pie recipe?  I will be checking my cookbooks, but I really don't want to use a pudding to make it.  I'd like to try a homemade one.

I found another use for my home canned pizza sauce.  One day last week I made chicken parmigiana in the crock pot.  So easy and tasted awesome.

I sliced two organic chicken breasts in half, making 4 filets of chicken.  Dipped them into an egg beaten with salt and pepper, then dipped them in Italian panko, seared 3 minutes on each side in butter in a stove top pan.  Transferred them to the crockpot, poured a pint of home canned pizza sauce over it.  Put the crock pot on low for about 7-8 hours, then hand shredded mozzarella cheese over it at the end until melted.  Delish!






My 21 year-old daughter bought me a very cute camper blanket.  She also bought me a box of Christmas cards she found at the dollar store.  So cute!

I finally figured out what I can make for Mom for Christmas.  I will be digging out my sewing machine for part of the making.  I haven't gotten it out since I sewed goat coats for our baby goats.  I'll update as I work on it.  This should be fun.  I never figured out how to thread a bobbin with it, so I sure hope YouTube has some videos.  The book that came with it doesn't have directions.  Mom gave me the sewing machine, so I am thankful for that.  I still have her old one that I used for years until it just got to the point of not being useable.


Dad, Mom, me and my siblings with my Dad's horse Sugar.  We lived in the city, and his horse was kept at a barn nearby.  I remember us driving home one time and Dad road Sugar into town to our house.  The first kiddo on Sugar is me at the age of 2.  Such precious memories.



His service was Wednesday afternoon.  It was graveside.  It started with an honor salute, as Dad was in the Navy during the Korean war.  It was very cold and raining the entire service, but we shared many, many funny and happy stories (and we all had different ones).

By the way, not sure if I shared, but our daughter (who has our grandkids), was tested positive for covid.  She got pretty sick.  We are really worried about her family, as her husband has many health issues.

We plan to do a driveway drop today for my Mom and one daughter (meal).  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.



6 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Kristina et al. I've never used rings to make mine. Yes, they do flatten a bit when I put them on the griddle but they cook. Why would you use rings???

Unknown said...

I bought some English muffin rings years ago from King Arthur flour and they are necessary as the batter (it’s not thick enough to be a dough) would just spread instead of rising without them. I have read that people use tuna cans that they have removed the bottom as well as the tops of. Whatever you use they need to be buttered so the muffin releases. Let us know if you find a butterscotch pudding pie recipe, I’ve always loved butterscotch pudding but never have seen a recipe

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, I wondered if the rings would keep them from going flat when I put them on the griddle. I just stumbled upon them one day and thought, Hm.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Unknown, I will let you know if we try any butterscotch pie recipes.

Anne said...

I just found your blog from Mom Scribbles and I thought you might like this recipe from my mother's 1942 Woman's Home Companion cookbook. We all absolutely love this butterscotch cream pie
1 c packed dark brown sugar
3 & 1/2 tbls cornstarch (or 5 tbls flour)
1/2 tsp salt
Combine in top of double boiler, then stir in
2 & 1/2 c cold milk
Cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer.
3 egg yolks slightly beaten, stir a sm amt of hot mix in, then stir into the rest of the mixture and cook for 2 min. over hot, not boiling water.
Add 3 tbls butter, then allow to cool
Add 1 tsp vanilla.
Pour into baked pie shell. May top with meringue made from the egg whites.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne thank you so much for the recipe. I will let you know when we try it.