Skip to main content

Frozen Cucumbers Update ~ Breakfast and other tidbits

 


Picture of the moon this morning.  I was up at 3:45am, because I had no body heat to snuggle up with (and because Tiger was also meowing at my bedroom door).  My husband worked midnight shift, and will be working morning day shift today.  Sigh...



I thawed some cucumbers I froze last August, so that's about 4 months in the freezer.  I did not peel them.  When thawed, they are not fresh crisp, but not as soft as a canned pickle. 



 I used them to go in our Tex Mex Macaroni (one dish meal - cold).  It tasted the same as using fresh cucumber. Oh, and when I opened the bag of frozen cucumbers, it smelled amazing, as if I had sliced a fresh one.



A breakfast I made - sweet potatoes, zucchini, red onion (needed to use some up), garlic, oregano, swiss chard and farm fresh eggs.

It was a day to clean up and tidy up.  I needed to do that badly in my bedroom (gulp).  I had crafting supplies all over the place.  No wonder I can't find things, ha ha!

Carpet cleaning resumes today.  I need to get it done before it gets too cold to dry the carpets.  Unless one of the girls are off today.  Then I will be going out to restock some items.

Well, there is a threat of a lockdown for our state (again).  Our Gov. is threatening to close restaurants now.  He's formed agents to do compliance checks regarding mask wearing in all businesses with fines and threat to close them down.  I'm so sick of it.   I am really am.  Truckers are talking about a strike this month.  I don't blame them.  They are our life line and need food on the road.  They are sick of the restrictions more so than all of us in this state.

I'm on my second pot of coffee already this morning and it's 6am as of posting this.  Have a great day!

Comments

wyomingheart said…
Yes, we heard about the trucker strike also. I will support them, and I would think anyone who reads your blog, would do the same. Your readers are well supplied between garden canning and being prepared. Those hard working truckers deserve our total support!
mamasmercantile said…
I would never have thought to freeze cucumber thank you for the tip. Sorry to hear about additional restrictions been added. Hopefully this will make a big difference quickly and some normality can return.
wyomingheart, one of my cousin's is a trucker and a good friend's husband as well.
mamasmercantile, I didn't think of freezing them either until this year, but for smoothies. I thought they tasted great in the salad.
Cockeyed Jo said…
I find the mask requirement a pain. Mel and I had the virus and recovered. We can't catch it again or infect anyone else after 6 months since we were ill.
Mother Em said…
Truckers, one of our most valuable essential workers, are our lifeline during this pandemic. With limitations on supplies being imposed now, we need them out there delivering. I have not heard of the strike or their purpose, but we all need to be deligent in mask wearing for our sake as well as others, especially with flu season upon us - 1,800 +/- died today and with family gatherings through upcoming holidays, it will get worse. God Help Us All.

Sorry for the preach!
Cockeyed Jo, I never thought about that point - having it and still having to wear a mask. Glad you are both okay.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart