Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, November 7, 2020

2020 Reading Challenge and other tidbits

 


My book arrived.  I just hope it isn't one I already read from the library over the years ha ha!  I hope to get some reading done ASAP.  I need a mental break from life overall.

We are getting some very nice weather this weekend.  Possible high 70's degrees on Sunday.  Crazy!





We are still seeing beautiful colors around the homestead.



When something goes out of the freezer, something goes back in.  Keeping things stocked, with a world of uncertainty.

A head of organic cauliflower and a few yellow squash (organic) were blanched.

Called my Mom.  Didn't talk long, as she was babysitting.  Got caught up with dishes, folded laundry, took scraps out to the chickens, and other mundane tasks.

I put together my barter, now I need a date and time to get it to her.  I hope she likes everything.  She is the family member who had 4 boxes of canning lids shipped to me.  I decided to include a set of homemade cards and a jar opener.

I ordered (and surprisingly received already) a manual coffee grinder.  I realized that we buy organic whole bean (have a cold press), and no way to grind them if the power went out.

I printed a few crochet patterns for winter projects.  I still have some printed recipes floating around the kitchen that I want to try.  If they float around long enough, they may get recycled.  I think I save too many recipes, ha ha!

I'm getting crochet time in most days, just before dinner and sometimes after dinner.

Someone told me that canning supplies will not be made until next March, but I have already seen jars with lids in stores.  I hope lids appear before another shutdown or whatever happens.

I hope everyone is staying calm as they can be, and healthy right now.  We are doing well, although considering I just poured homemade Kahlua in my coffee, I can't really say we are all "calm" here ha ha!














5 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I love the look of the book. I am of the same mind as something comes out of the freezer I try to put something back in. I am making some time for crochet too.

Cockeyed Jo said...

I'm knitting a throw for my bed currently. I'll take a few weeks to complete. I still haven't relearned how to crochet one handed yet. I keep threatening to, but haven't done it.

Rain said...

Kahlua in your coffee sounds good to me! :) That's an interesting book challenge!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, hopefully the book is good. I haven't yet started it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, have much to do on my daughter's cardigan yet.