Skip to main content

2020 Reading Challenge and other tidbits

 


My book arrived.  I just hope it isn't one I already read from the library over the years ha ha!  I hope to get some reading done ASAP.  I need a mental break from life overall.

We are getting some very nice weather this weekend.  Possible high 70's degrees on Sunday.  Crazy!





We are still seeing beautiful colors around the homestead.



When something goes out of the freezer, something goes back in.  Keeping things stocked, with a world of uncertainty.

A head of organic cauliflower and a few yellow squash (organic) were blanched.

Called my Mom.  Didn't talk long, as she was babysitting.  Got caught up with dishes, folded laundry, took scraps out to the chickens, and other mundane tasks.

I put together my barter, now I need a date and time to get it to her.  I hope she likes everything.  She is the family member who had 4 boxes of canning lids shipped to me.  I decided to include a set of homemade cards and a jar opener.

I ordered (and surprisingly received already) a manual coffee grinder.  I realized that we buy organic whole bean (have a cold press), and no way to grind them if the power went out.

I printed a few crochet patterns for winter projects.  I still have some printed recipes floating around the kitchen that I want to try.  If they float around long enough, they may get recycled.  I think I save too many recipes, ha ha!

I'm getting crochet time in most days, just before dinner and sometimes after dinner.

Someone told me that canning supplies will not be made until next March, but I have already seen jars with lids in stores.  I hope lids appear before another shutdown or whatever happens.

I hope everyone is staying calm as they can be, and healthy right now.  We are doing well, although considering I just poured homemade Kahlua in my coffee, I can't really say we are all "calm" here ha ha!














Comments

mamasmercantile said…
I love the look of the book. I am of the same mind as something comes out of the freezer I try to put something back in. I am making some time for crochet too.
Cockeyed Jo said…
I'm knitting a throw for my bed currently. I'll take a few weeks to complete. I still haven't relearned how to crochet one handed yet. I keep threatening to, but haven't done it.
Rain said…
Kahlua in your coffee sounds good to me! :) That's an interesting book challenge!
mamasmercantile, hopefully the book is good. I haven't yet started it.
Cockeyed Jo, have much to do on my daughter's cardigan yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...