Skip to main content

Supplies are hard to find

We started our Sunday on the hunt for dog fencing supplies.  The wooden posts are out of stock everywhere.  We located 3, but even with my insistence, my husband did not buy them (hmpf!).  I may talk him into going back today.  We'll see if I'm successful.

I was also on the hunt for a metal watering unit for my chickens.  I literally bought the last one.  I was told by one store that there is a metal shortage, due to the shutdown, and they are all behind in production.  Makes sense.

We were lucky to have breakfast with Youngest and the family of her passing boyfriend.  Gosh, we had such a good time.  I really miss them.

After that we went to vote.  The process was pretty quick.  The line moved continuously.  We decided to vote early.  Overtime is in the books for next week for my husband, and my car is still in repair.  It was better to vote early, than have the chance to not get to vote at all.

We stopped at Home Depot and picked up some door seals to prep for winter (needed replaced).  We looked at flooring for the bedroom.  Not much in stock to choose from sadly.  We picked up solar batteries for some of the solar lights, but need a special kind for our driveway posts.  I may have to order them online.



It was a beautiful sunny day, so we got to splitting wood, but slightly after starting the chainsaw malfunctioned.  Go figure.  Parts are ordered.  We are coming into a nice, warm week, so hopefully the parts arrive early and we can get back at it.

Again, we have ideas for what to get done today, but planning anything is impossible these days.  We need a trailer, that we already put a call in to borrow, to pick up the fencing for the dog fence.  It's pretty heavy stuff, so that's on the "plate."  Not sure if it will be delivered today or not.
 

Comments

Rebecca Knox said…
It's just an idea, Kristian, but you might check into ordering your supplies from someplace like Lehman's or one of the farm supply stores online. Blessings for a great weekend!
Rebecca, thanks for the tip. We were actually thinking of making a one day trip to Amish and see what we could find (They have a Lehman's store too).
Cockeyed Jo said…
No shortage of fence posts here. We need a post, we go out to one of the small downed trees from all the storms that has hit us this year. We simply debark and use it. :o)

We're voting today and doing some shopping since we're off the homestead. We need to replace our wood stove (heater) pipe. It's been mighty chilly the past couple nights.
Cockeyed Jo, I wish we had homemade posts, but we lack firewood this year too. We plan to pull the truck out in the "back 40" and see if there are trees down, haul them up and get them cut. The chainsaw parts are not here yet sadly.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart