Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Canning




Got another batch of Cowboy canned.


Canned a batch of taco sauce.  Makes my heart sing.  Haven't been able to do this for the last two years.  I you can with anything (tomato) sauce related, you know they are long days.  The end result is so delicious.  I can it in 4 oz. jars because that is enough for one meal for all of us and nothing is wasted or needs used up.  I can only fit 11 of them in the canner, so I put the remaining 1/2 pint in the fridge.  We'll be eating tacos or taco salad this week. Taco sauce from the store has corn syrup, corn starch (all gmo), and other preservatives.  So worth the time to can.  I'm hoping the other tomatoes ripen together so I can do tomato sauce next.

I didn't have time to bake a breakfast for a grab-n-go for all of us either.  I was so exhausted I overslept this morning.  I wasn't even up to kiss my husband before he left for work this morning.  I'm taking the day off today.  We expect rain anyway.  We did get a short shower of rain yesterday thankfully.  I was literally so exhausted I crocheted 6 sc and put it away last night.

See ya' in a few days.  Hopefully super powered from a day of rest.  Not sure if I will fall plant green beans.  I'm exhausted.  I do miss the taste of them already, but we have a 3-4 day window to get them in the ground before the temps lower.  Not sure fall planting will happen this year.


12 comments:

Mother Em said...

Turnip greens winter over for us in GA. Beans, not too sure and have never tried. Rest those bones, put the feetz up and relax. Well deserved.

M. Meyers said...

I want to make cowboy candy! Just last night I read of a recipe used by Hopeful Things, the Instagram account of a Mennonite woman. She thickens the leftover liquid with pectin and turns it into jalapeƱo jelly. She uses this recipe. Is it similar to what you use? , https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

Wildflower Adventures said...

You gave me the idea to freeze our banana peppers. We freeze onions & bell peppers so why not freeze the banana peppers too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, I can't leave anything in the ground here. Too much cold weather and snow in our parts. Wish I could. Just fall garlic is what I fall plant anymore.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.Meyer, I have canned the leftover syrup before, but everyone here loves hot pepper jelly. I leave all the seeds in it too. I will take a look though, sounds good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wildflower Adventures, right? We are freezing some more soon.

Tracy dixon said...

I love taking a day and making make ahead breakfasts. I will make pancakes, muffins, egg bites, burritos, French toast etc and put them in the freezer. Everybody knows what's in there and can pick and choose what they want.

mamasmercantile said...

Hope you managed to get that well deserved break and put your feet up for the day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Tracy, I hope to get some pancakes in my freezer, but it is filling up with garden goodness too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile

Cockeyed Jo said...

Just like you, everything is tomatoes, In my case, 4 bushels worth (so far)purchased from the wholesale house. My tomato plants withered in the heat and drowned in the rain.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, we are getting tomatoes, but they are not turning red at the same time.