Skip to main content

Apron Time! ~ Sweet Pickle Relish ~ Zucchini All Day!

My husband went back to work yesterday.  It's time to get back to cooking and baking and getting my kitchen in order.

First I had to put away a stack of clean dishes, then it was time to start chopping.




My first batch of sweet pickle relish was canned.  So thankful for the cucumbers and green pepper from the garden.  It was too early to dig up carrots, but they are growing.




Baked a zucchini breakfast casserole with garden zucchini. It was fantastic.  I used one from AllRecipes and used up some zucchini.  So good!




Baked a Chocolate zucchini cake, because we could all use some comfort food right now.  I thought about adding a glaze, but decided against it.  The reviews said it would be a very moist cake, and the glaze would make it softer too.  Boy is it good too.  I swapped out half the oil for home canned applesauce.




Dinner?  Meatballs with home canned hot pepper mustard sauce over quinoa and zucchini/corn off the cob saute.


Brought in 4.6# of jalapenos.  My job this morning - can most of them.  My tomatoes are not even ready yet, so no fresh salsa sadly.

As for the "order" in the kitchen?  I officially dirtied all the dishes in the entire kitchen.  Today is clean up day, because I just plain ran out of time (after I can today).

Comments

M. Meyers said…
Busy! Busy! I also made a chocolate zucchini cake - from King Arthur website. Delicious!
Mary Mc said…
Love your reading your blog. How do you get so much done? And in the summer heat! Thank you for sharing your day. Mary Mc
M. Meyers, I'll have to look that recipe up.
Mary Mc, thank you. I chopped all the veggies for the relish early, and while it sat in salt water for 2 hours, I whipped up the breakfast and cake. Then canned and went back out and picked the jalapenos. Not all days are like that, but I need to keep busy for my mindset too.
Rebecca Knox said…
I enjoyed reading this post and seeing all the ways that you are using your garden produce. The breakfast casserole looks good and the chocolate zucchini cake delicious! I would love the recipe if you are willing to share. I picked a ton of tomatoes yesterday and green peppers this morning. Green beans will be ready soon, but the zucchini here has about played out. I still have several in the fridge that need used though, so, thus far, we've still got plenty. I hope your week is going well. Blessings!
Katmom said…
Oh My! I am drooling over that chocolate Zucchini cake!! YUM!
Rebecca, I used this recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17643/chocolate-zucchini-cake-iii/, but swapped out half of the oil with home canned applesauce.
Rebecca Knox said…
Thanks, Kristina! Am printing it now and will probably make one tonight! Blessings! <3
Rebecca, you are welcome. The cake was gobbled up here.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart