Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, August 14, 2020

Chickens











Here are my 6 newbies this year, and the last two adult hens who survived raccoons, opossums, and weasels.  They all get along, and they love their new coop.  Hubby and I are going to remove the side roof sections (I have no idea why they didn't do that when they built this), add hinges, so I can simply lift the lid to to nesting boxes.  It would make it much easier than trying to get my tall self inside that thing.

The temporary fencing is still not up.  My husband is either "too tired" or he's working overtime.  The coop is too hot for them.  I am putting frozen bottles of water in the watering unit, making them ice treats with corn in them, grinding shaved ice for them......now I'm looking online for a baby gate so I can open the door for air flow.  I have to go online because I still haven't gotten my car fixed since last fall. Unless I get use of a vehicle this weekend (or get fencing up).