Skip to main content

Canning




Got another batch of Cowboy canned.


Canned a batch of taco sauce.  Makes my heart sing.  Haven't been able to do this for the last two years.  I you can with anything (tomato) sauce related, you know they are long days.  The end result is so delicious.  I can it in 4 oz. jars because that is enough for one meal for all of us and nothing is wasted or needs used up.  I can only fit 11 of them in the canner, so I put the remaining 1/2 pint in the fridge.  We'll be eating tacos or taco salad this week. Taco sauce from the store has corn syrup, corn starch (all gmo), and other preservatives.  So worth the time to can.  I'm hoping the other tomatoes ripen together so I can do tomato sauce next.

I didn't have time to bake a breakfast for a grab-n-go for all of us either.  I was so exhausted I overslept this morning.  I wasn't even up to kiss my husband before he left for work this morning.  I'm taking the day off today.  We expect rain anyway.  We did get a short shower of rain yesterday thankfully.  I was literally so exhausted I crocheted 6 sc and put it away last night.

See ya' in a few days.  Hopefully super powered from a day of rest.  Not sure if I will fall plant green beans.  I'm exhausted.  I do miss the taste of them already, but we have a 3-4 day window to get them in the ground before the temps lower.  Not sure fall planting will happen this year.


Comments

Mother Em said…
Turnip greens winter over for us in GA. Beans, not too sure and have never tried. Rest those bones, put the feetz up and relax. Well deserved.
M. Meyers said…
I want to make cowboy candy! Just last night I read of a recipe used by Hopeful Things, the Instagram account of a Mennonite woman. She thickens the leftover liquid with pectin and turns it into jalapeño jelly. She uses this recipe. Is it similar to what you use? , https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/
You gave me the idea to freeze our banana peppers. We freeze onions & bell peppers so why not freeze the banana peppers too.
Mother Em, I can't leave anything in the ground here. Too much cold weather and snow in our parts. Wish I could. Just fall garlic is what I fall plant anymore.
M.Meyer, I have canned the leftover syrup before, but everyone here loves hot pepper jelly. I leave all the seeds in it too. I will take a look though, sounds good.
Wildflower Adventures, right? We are freezing some more soon.
Tracy dixon said…
I love taking a day and making make ahead breakfasts. I will make pancakes, muffins, egg bites, burritos, French toast etc and put them in the freezer. Everybody knows what's in there and can pick and choose what they want.
mamasmercantile said…
Hope you managed to get that well deserved break and put your feet up for the day.
Tracy, I hope to get some pancakes in my freezer, but it is filling up with garden goodness too.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Just like you, everything is tomatoes, In my case, 4 bushels worth (so far)purchased from the wholesale house. My tomato plants withered in the heat and drowned in the rain.
Cockeyed Jo, we are getting tomatoes, but they are not turning red at the same time.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart