Skip to main content

Christmas Gift for the Girls ~ Honey Roasted Caramel Corn ~ Sanity Saver Ride

The moon early this morning.

Breakfast yesterday morning.  First time to eat healthy in about 5-6 days.  Hubby's famous omelets, and this time he put jalapenos in them.


When I can remember....I am scanning any good family favorite handwritten recipe when I use it.  I'm printing it on cardstock and will cut to size for a recipe box for my younger two girls.  The recipe boxes I want to buy them are no longer sold.  The general store that sold them closed.  I may see if my husband (hate to even ask him) will build me two wooden recipe boxes.




One day when we had lucky leftovers, and I didn't have to cook dinner, I made this!  Honey roasted caramel corn.  It is the best I have ever tasted.  No kidding.  My Mom's taste test approved this as the best too.  It's not my recipe.  I found it online from the Stay at Home Chef.  She has a video on making it.  It uses butter, brown sugar, honey, salt, baking soda and vanilla.  Of course I popped my corn in my stovetop whirley popper.

Hubby had Saturday off, but works double shift today sadly.  I am back in the kitchen with garden stuff.  



Considering he had Saturday off, we took advantage of it and go the chicken fencing (temporary fencing until we officially move it) up. We used a dog gate to make a gate for the fencing, and need to add more t-posts, but for now they can get out and about.  I had to laugh.  The two older hens came outside right away.  All day long the newbies kept popping their heads out the door and then back inside.  They'll figure it out eventually.


I also dug this old elementary desk out of the barn.  It's being given to our granddaughter.  She is being home-schooled this year.  In their area, the kids were divided between two school districts, and there was no room for her in either school, and is forced to home school.  I hosed it off, and it needs cleaned up, but so glad I could help them out and clean out at the same time.

How did we get the desk and chair?  Way back in the day when our elemetary schools were torn down, Junior high torn down, to build an all in one school, one teacher of one of our kids bought every desk and chair.  She sold them back to each family for $1.00 each.  

After that we took off on a motorcycle ride, which I badly needed.  Our 21 year old worked all day, so youngest hooked up with another sister and went swimming at a nearby beach area (at the lake).

It'll be a long day today, but the pantry is being restocked, and we are very grateful for that.  It's a struggle, and we haven't had a good garden year for the last 3 years, but it's more than last year for sure.

Now, if the Rain Gods could bless us again today, and plump up those root veggies and tomatoes, I'll be a happy gal.



Comments

Tracy dixon said…
Just watched her video. Now I have to make some. Lol
Tracy, you will love it. It's so good my husband told me to make some to sell. I am taking him up on the offer after I can get into town for bags for it.
wyomingheart said…
Great post! Love that popcorn! The desk is very awesome to share with your granddaughter! Hope those youngster chicks get a clue... lol !
wyomingheart, the younger ones did get a clue, and flew right out of the coop last night. We spent hours trying to find them on our 6 acres. The dogs helped find one, we later found the other, but now we have to re-do the coop. Again. Sigh...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart