Skip to main content

Cowboy Candy and other ramblings

Yesterday, the first thing I needed to do, was to put up the 4.6# of jalapenos I picked.  I needed 3# to make the cowboy candy.
I got that canned, but it takes a lot of time to slice up those babies.  The remaining will be frozen today hopefully.



I have been able to crochet more of the jar grippers.  I will get them up for sale as I get more colors made.  I have already sold the first six I already made (not pictured).  I'm told they work great and better than most that are made (my "gripper" has smaller holes that what my Mom was given and she loves it).  I think people are buying the "gripper" part from the Dollar Tree, and I have seen it and didn't like the look of it.  I purchased a different type (better brand) and am glad I did. I use a smaller hook and a cotton thread.

Comments

Phoebes World said…
I made Cowboy Candy on Monday... Hubby said he could smell the vinegar as he got out of the truck from work. We now have enough to last a year...hopefully
Found your blog through Crochet by the Sea.. and I look forward to reading your back posts
Phoebe x
Phoebes World, thanks for stopping in. Glad you are enjoying my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart