Skip to main content

Crazy Busy, but a Good "Busy"

I don't know why I even bother to borrow books from the library during this time of year.  I pick them up, never open them, and have a horrible time finding free time to return them.   It's in a town where I cannot do any errands but get gas in my car and pick up ice.  I returned everything but one book, and decided to leave it at that. 

The 60% chance of rain we were to get on Wednesday just flew off the weather map - "poof" it was gone.  No rain.  I need more hoses and a sprinkler, and I do not have them.  I already have three long hoses put together.  I'll be taking garden notes for next season, including where not to plant my garlic.  


In the 112 bulbs I planted, only 5-6 are as large as the largest one in the photo.  The rest are dinky.  It was like digging in cement, and I ended up with bruised knees (even with a knee pad).  I'll save these (or a portion) for replanting, but will be checking farmer's markets for more garlic (and beets).  I'm not sure fall planting will be a good idea for beets just yet.  I planted beans and peas and every chance of rain they said we'd get, was changed to no rain.  The tree leaves are already turning brown.


We got our first yellow straight neck squash this month.  Finally.  The garden was planted so strange this year, and the first seeds never sprouted.  Lack of rain is really affecting everything.

I got my first bag of chopped bell peppers into the freezer.  The peppers are on, but small.  

I am super happy to be using my slicer after two years of no cucumbers.  Well, we had cucumbers one of those years, but had to give them away due to going on a road trip.  

Making bread and butter pickles (Ball recipe) is super easy now.  I am happy to say....

  ....one batch made it to the pantry this year.  But...

...the entire container of chopped vegetables that was to be put in the refrigerator for my 4th batch of zucchini salsa, never made it to the fridge.  One daughter accidentally, dropped it and that was the end of that.  Yes, I was mad, and no, I had no more of everything I needed to make it again.   I am sure it would not have happened had both the two daughters who were helping, had been more eager to help.  Both showed attitudes of anger and reluctance and with that, you get accidents.  I had to remind them how many jars they eat over winter, and that it's for the entire family, and several meals and snacks.  I hate to tell them, but I'll be continuing to can it, as long as my garden provides.  Maybe, just maybe, I won't have to can it next year.

Our 40% chance of rain today, went to 30%.  It changes by the hour, so who knows what to expect anymore.

"Vet Tech" daughter in training, is picking up her new bunny today.  We said no more animals (indoor) and here we are, agreeing to her getting another rabbit.  Milo first started out as our oldest daughter's, but she moved on, and Milo stayed.  Well, "Vet Tech" took care of him, and even bought his food, so she is taking a road trip to pick up her new "baby" (under the condition that when she moves out, the rabbit goes with her).
  

Comments

Kim said…
Did you get a signed affidavit to that effect?!!! Our left home but never took the pet was a Doberman. Although we loved her she about ate us out of house and home! I would try planting the garlic in a raised bed or even a trough.
Kim, we did not, but I am pretty sure she'll hold to it. Thanks for the tips on garlic. I may try the trough idea.
Mama Pea said…
I'm the same way with library books this time of year. We have a book rack in the bathroom that I stock with interesting, different, weird books I find at the library and some weeks they are the only ones that get looked at!

I raise our garlic in a raised bed which I think gives them a better chance than in the more traditional on-the-ground method. It would be interesting to do an experiment some year -- plant some in the ground and some in a raised bed. Even planting them in a tire would work.
RB said…
We went over a week with no rain. This week, however, we've had spits & spots of it almost daily, with a nice long gentle rain last night. We're up to 2/3 of an inch so far this week. Another 1/3, and I'll be satisfied my rose garden got enough for the week.
We're seeing the same thing with leaves turning early. I'm pretty sure the stress a week without rain puts on trees and such lends a hand in that.
I pray everyone has a safe, great weekend.
Suppose to be a tiny bit cooler here with a good chance of rain each day.
Well, we'll see. Won't we.
God bless.
RB
<><
Mama Pea, we first planted them in raised beds, but they didn't do well. We then tried directly in the garden, but the weather last year and this year are not good. No rain for two weeks. All the rain we expected passed by us, and now nothing until next weekend. We have to water again today.
RB, thank you. I hope you have a great weekend too. We are watering again today - no rain all week and not until next weekend. So frustrating as last year was frustrating. I'm just glad we have a well and the rain barrels.
You're gardening and I'm reading!
I don't know why I haven't been able to focus on reading the last couple of years...
but I'm catching up now!
I'll probably starve come winter. :(
Patricia, that's great! Sounds like you are getting into some good books right now.
Sam I Am...... said…
You are crazy busy! I am too but so much slower at my age! LOL!
Sam I Am, when these kiddos move out, I am afraid they'll all be stopping by for handouts too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart