Skip to main content

Tincture Time ~ Bilberry Vinegar

(sorry for the blurry picture)

I strained the two tinctures I made recently - mullein, and bilberry.    Now I'm ready to make one that I feel will be good for varicose veins.  

It includes:

Barberry Bark
Bilberry leaf
Bilberries

However, after I got my herbs out, I started wondering if an infused oil (to make a rub) would be better?


Well, I'm experimenting anyway.  I may just infuse the oil and make a lotion/rub too.


I'm thinking of making an oil infusion with chamomile as well.  This will be utilized for headache and anxiety.  I have one daughter who comes home from school with headaches often.

I am making a bilberry vinegar for salads too.  Just to get more bilberry nutrition.  I'll be soaking the bilberries in apple cider vinegar for 30 days, straining it and enjoying it. More on that later....

I am so durn busy with tomatoes, that I decided to leave the peppermint extract sit in my closet.   It can wait.  Tomatoes can't.  I already took yesterday off.  Literally.  I brought in tomatoes and green peppers, but had to make a run to the "big city."  I needed cat food, chicken food, toilet paper....just a lot of necessities.  The family actually got dinner too - baked mac n' cheese and home grown green beans.

Comments

Kim said…
I wanna hear more about the bilberry.
Tomatoes have a way of taking over our lives in August/September!
Sam I Am...... said…
Bilberry? Did I miss a post? What is it and where does it come from and what is it used for? It's still hot here 90 today but there is rain coming that will cool off into the 80's hopefully. I have Fall chores to do outside like painting and caulking and I refuse to go out when it's 90 some degrees. I hope you can keep up with your harvest! You're doing great so far! I hope you get lots done today and can rest on your porch a bit.
P.S. Walmart is carrying organic again....not sure why that store clerk told me they were stopping. I got all kinds of organic canned veggies and soups. Starting to stock the cupboard for winter and power outages. LOL!
Sam I Am...... said…
I had to write another comment and congratulate you on your weight loss! That's amazing! All that from sitting on the back of a Harley? LOL! But truly, congrats and how did you do it?
Kim, I hope to have an update soon on the bilberry stuff I'm making.
Sam I Am, thank you for that compliment. I too am trying to stock up anything that I don't grow or raise.
Mama Pea said…
I don't know how you keep all your natural tinctures, oils and lotions straight! (Obviously, with a better mind than mine.) I'm sure you're going to end up writing a book someday and I'll be first in line to purchase it. All of it is so much better than the pharmaceuticals so readily handed out these days!

Don't let those tomatoes get you down . . . you're tougher than they are! ;o}

Being prepared for winter is more important than at any other time of year, I think. Certain sources are saying this is going to be a rough one in more ways than one.
Mama pea, I read a few updates about having a rough winter too. We haven't even gotten back to splitting wood, but we may be this weekend.
RB said…
Sounds very interesting. The dinner sounds good too. Mac & Cheese and Green Beans are two of my very favorites. Often after work, I'll be dog tired and will heat a frozen Mac & Cheese Dinner while eating Green Beans cold straight out of the can. It's not fancy, but it hits the spot quickly and easily.
We're awaiting the remnants of a hurricane from the south here in Central NC while dealing with a "cold" front from the northwest. With a little prayer, they both won't hit us at once, raising cane right above our heads.
Prayers everyone has a great, safe weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it's turning cooler here too, but I still have tomatoes on the plants. I'm hoping for a few more tomatoes yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart