Skip to main content

Peaches ~ Plums ~ Apricots ~ Blueberries


I'm getting more peach jam put up, and for the first time, plum and apricot jam. All jams are reduced sugar.  These will go fast in my family.  I can utilize the plum and apricot with other meals, not just PB and J's.

The plum jam is delicious! 


So is the apricot!

I'm  starting to put enough fresh plums, apricots and peaches in the freezer to enjoy all winter too.  I'm freezing them until our our trees start supplying us an ample amount.





I'm still working on putting up the blueberries.  This year I bought 30 pounds.  I have been freezing most, but making a few new trial recipes.  Fresh blueberry pie was okay, but not spectacular.  They are all still raving about that cake with buttercream frosting. 

I've also been making crock pot steel cut oats with fresh blueberries and bananas.



Oh, and I made a 9 x 13 pan of overnight blueberry french toast (allrecipes) for breakfast.  I reduced the cream cheese down by half, doubled the amount of blueberries in the layering part, and added a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg.  I'm thrilled to see our grocery store carrying organic cream.  I also used frozen for the layering part of the recipe, rotating out some older blueberries, and using fresh for the topping.

We made this recipe once before, but the original recipe uses way too much cream cheese.  This time it was just about perfect.

I have a portion of one 10 pound box to work on today, along with more jam canning, and roasting a chicken for dinner.  I'm secretly glad it's raining again today.  Yesterday I still canned early in the morning, but by noon, Hubby and I took the day off and had two rides on the motorcycle.  We visited both sides of the family and pretty much collapsed when we got home, ha ha! 

Comments

Susan said…
Sounds like you're making up for lost time! How I envy your stone fruit - no local to be had, thanks to our wacky spring.
Susan, I plan on visiting a farmer's market that I have not been too yet. I hear they have lots of organic items. The kids love the plum jam the best so far. I would like to get my hands on more apricots.
Sandra said…
I love jams!
I put up 20 pounds of berries. I did freeze most of it, and will make some jam when the temps. are not so high.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart