Skip to main content

No Bake Energy Bites

On a whim, yes I did it again, I tried a new recipe shared by my mother.  A recipe that was not in my "pile."

Sigh. Recipes will just be getting the best of me here lately.


These were so easy to make, and I had all the organic ingredients on hand too.


1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup chocolate chips *
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla 

Mix all ingredients and roll into bite size balls and refrigerate.  

Note:  *For the chocolate chips,I used a non-gmo mini chocolate chip that I can buy in the organic section of my grocer (health stores sell them too).

I accidentally left out the vanilla extract.  

I had one eye on the mixing bowl and one eye on King, who was "eyeing" my mixing bowl.  Hence the forgetful mind while mixing.


I'll be making them again, and again, and trying it with the vanilla next time.  

Gosh only knows, I'll need those little power boosters this summer too.

I used organic old fashioned oats too.  I think I got about 2 1/2 dozen "bites" from the batch too.  I used my small cooking scoop.

The family devoured them.  The best part, is that I can make these in the heat of summer, and not heat up my house in the process too.

I'd keep them in the refrigerator too.  If you leave them out, they get soft and fall apart a bit. 

Comments

Kim said…
Nice recipe I will have to give this one a try as well. Thanks for sharing it.
Kim, they were well liked here. I want to make more today, so I can deliver some to my Dad too.
Susan said…
Can you freeze them as well? I have a recipe that calls for dates, coconut and chocolate that I enjoy, but I am a fan of oats.
Susan, I can't see what not. I mean I store my flax seed itself in the freezer. That is a good idea too.
Liz said…
These do look good! I have some flaxseeds I need to use up. Wish I could find some non-gmo chocolate chips around here.
Mama Pea said…
Thanks for adding that they should be kept in the refrigerator. I was going to ask that. I can see them being a really good treat when cold in the summer time. Although you may have to hide them in a container labeled "leftovers" or some such to keep everyone out of them! ;o]
Liz, you might try online health stores.
Mama Pea, I found a way to keep my vegetarian kids out of them, ha ha! I put them in a container and said, "hey, they look like mini meatballs!" They devoured them as fast as I made the next batch. I stole about four to share with my Dad too.
Anonymous said…
I love this recipe!! I make them all the time. My family loves them and we eat them before and after we workout of during a long day of gardening in substitute for lunch. I'm so glad you like them!!
RB said…
Sounds good. With that flax seed, sounds like it would get the plumbing running too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Leah and RB, they are very good. I can't keep enough on hand with my large family, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart