Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Random Tidbits

My hens were treated with a tray of over ripe fruit.  I'll be honest, I have never fed citrus to my hens and rooster.  Those scraps always went to the goats.

I wasn't sure if they would be interested, but they ate the entire tray.   I repurposed a tray used to bake a giant coolie with.  Cleaning has it's advantage.


They absolutely love rotten bananas.  So if I don't feel like whipping up banana muffins or bread it goes to them.



Yesterday, most of us made a trip to the "big city."  Our 14 year-old is gearing up for a bus trip to Washington, D.C.  It's a school trip they do in the 8th grade.  She's the last one to go. We had some needs to pick up as well.

I have had a item on the list for a while now, and finally caved.


I purchased a few new succulents for my master bath.  That seems to be the room of final touches right now, aside for a good paint job.


I just love these plants.  They are all repotted with cactus potting soil.  The master bath now has two.


Remember this camper van planter I picked up at an antique store months ago?  It really doesn't match anything, but it now has a few succulent plants in it.  I just love my new plants.

Last night I whipped up what I call "Mexican Linguine" I just put it together in one skillet, aside from cooking the noodles.  


(sorry for the bad photo) Although I may need to make adjustments, it was delicious.  I browned one pound of organic ground beef, added a chopped onion.  When the onion was cooked, I added 1 pint of home canned Fiesta Salsa, 1 freezer bag (thawed) of corn off the cob (4 cups), 3 Tablespoons of homemade taco mix, and brought it to a boil, and gently cooked until the moisture from the corn was reduced.  I cooked the noodles, added them to the mixture and served.  Delicious topped with shredded cheddar cheese.

I think I'll add more salsa to this next time.  Vegetarians can simply leave out the meat. 

The garden can't come fast enough this year.  I'm officially, completely out of zucchini salsa.  My one daughter said, "well at least you know we like it" ha ha! 

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I love the look of most succulents, too, although I really don't have anywhere appropriate to put them. Our bathroom is so small there's hardly room for one of us (!) in there at a time!!

Your dish you made for dinner reminds me a lot of one I make . . . and haven't made for a long time. Thanks for the memory jog!

Kim said...

That really sounds yummy! I am so out of everything it seems. I am wanting to get my fingers in the dirt ad see things growing that I can eat.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I wish the master bathroom was smaller. I kind of feel it's wasted space. But....I dashed it up with a few plants.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I am so ready to get things growing again too.

RB said...

I love soups, of any kind really. You know how noodles "over-bloom" (get fat and soggy) if left in broth? I was watching on a Hispanic cooking channel, and they fry their noodles with their aromatics (onion, celery, carrots), and they say that keeps the noodles from doing that because it "sets" the protein (egg) in the noodle. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to.
Love the plants. We use to have many on tables and windowsills, but we had to put them all in the bedrooms because the cats were knocking them off everywhere else. We've even had to move a lamp off an end table because I was afraid they were going to kill it, and it's a favorite of ours.
Been gorgeous weather here...in the low 70s today. Don't know if that means winter is over or not, but we're enjoying the nice weather while we have it.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I've never fried my noodles. Very interesting.

RB said...

First they sauteed the aromatics (onions, celery, garlic, etc.), and when those were tender, then they tossed in the noodles, tossed them around with the vegies, and fried them until they started to turn golden. Then they made the rest of the soup.
There's a recipe here that looks similar to what I saw.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/217935/sopa-de-fideos/
I'm going to have to try it. Sounds yummy.
God bless.
RB
<><