Skip to main content

Homestead Tidbits

Even though it's November, we are still seeing some color in our flower beds.  

"Huh, I haven't heard you say, I'm going out to the garden today, in a long time.  I think I could get used to that," said my 11 year-old early this morning.

Speaking of garden, my fitbit is reading 3,000 less steps per day, now that I'm not outside doing any outdoor work.  However, we haven't figured out our heating situation yet, so  that may change with splitting wood.  I'm going to have to do something to continue to get more exercise.  This may mean heading back to the gym, with a 5am workout.  Hubby needs it anyway.  They are warning employees about weight.  They are at a point now where they will not hire anyone that is over a specific weight, and will start looking for ways to fire employees, that weigh over a specific weight.  More and more employers are taking this route.


I can update that we are looking at installing a wood stove or pellet stove.  The furnace is ruled out.


Sapphire was enjoying the flower beds too.  She, and the other cats are gaining more weight and fur, to combat winter's chill.

I still have pears.  I made more reduced sugar jam. We love this flavor.  They smell so delicious and taste wonderful.  Sorry, too lazy to photograph it.


I also made some (a Martha Stewart recipe)  Pear and Granola muffins.  The muffins were so good.  I used my homemade granola too.  I like the fact the recipe uses plain yogurt as well, so I can utilize many homemade ingredients.  These muffins were a hit with the family.  Yum!  The only negative note to comment on this recipe, is that these muffins stick to paper liners.  Use parchment paper or simply spray your muffin pans.

I then canned spiced pear cardamom butter (found online at Organic Gardening).  I've never canned pear butter, nor tasted any, so this was a treat.  I only got 5 jars, not 7 as the recipe stated, but it is delicious too.  To be honest, we all felt this tasted just like apple butter.  



I'm working on filling our emergency account back up.  I've been sending out queries and blowing the dust off of my writing skills.  I am just hoping I blow enough dust off, to write some killer articles, and bring in some cash.  I've hired my 19 year-old daughter as my editor.  She does an excellent job at it.

Hubby is taking some jam and jelly to work to sell for me too.  I have jars leftover from this year's Farmer's Market, so that should hopefully bring in some cash too.
 






Comments

Candy C. said…
Your flowers are still so pretty! We have been trying to walk every morning, it's good for us AND the dogs. The big difference I note between apple butter and pear butter is the slight graininess of the pear butter. Good luck with the writing! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart