Skip to main content

Pear Berry Gingerbread Loaves

Pear Berry Gingerbread Loaves
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup molasses
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. grated ginger root
2 med. pears, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries


Pear Frosting
1 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. Pear Liqueur
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

For bread:
Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease 2 loaf pan.

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Set aside.

Combine eggs, molasses, applesauce, brown sugar, milk, and grated ginger root in a medium mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour the eggs mixture in, all at once.  Fold in pears and cranberries.  Pour into prepared pans.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pans for about 10 minutes before removing, and continue cooling on wire racks.


Frosting:
Stir all ingredients, and drizzle onto the bread.  Note:  if you do not have pear liqueur, simply use milk.

(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, Celebrate the Season 2000)

Overall family test tasting:  everyone said that they would not like this bread without the frosting.  We also used organic ingredients with our homegrown pears.


Comments

EMMA said…
Oh my, that was not good for me to read today. I've just started the Whole30 - 30 days of no gluten, dairy or sugar. And that bread looks and sounds delicious!!!!!!
Sandra said…
Looks delicious!!
Candy C. said…
Well, everything is better with frosting! ;)
I made the Pear Puff Pancake Sunday and we both really liked it.
Oh, so glad you liked it Candy. I baked again today, so expect another recipe or link anyway. He he!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart