Skip to main content

A Dog's Life

 (Alias, very tired and wanting to take a nap, but yet at the same time wanting to play ball)

Have you been wondering how Alias is adapting to his new home here at Rooster's Crow Farm?  Have you been wondering if this 13 year old dog, put into a brand new atmosphere, has been a wee bit naughty or just down right loveable?

Well, he's been both.


When we brought him home, his bones were sticking out, from starvation and improper diet.  He was used to scavenging for his food I think.   One day, in his early days here, swiped 5-6 pieces of french toast from the table.  He's definitely a food freak when food is around, but that will change as he realizes he won't starve again.  And as of today, his bones are no longer sticking out.

We, with the kids help, are training him every day.  He's doing better too.  


He's getting lots of love, lots of attention, and lots of training. He loves a belly rub, but loves to give kisses with that big, wet, sloppy tongue of his.

He loves to drink water, and slops it everywhere, but we still love him.  We laugh when we hear him drinking too.  He's got a distinct sound he makes.

When the school bus pulls in, he's gets very excited, runs back and forth and whines in a high pitched "I'm excited" whine.  He loves it when we get home from anywhere, and sometimes greets us with his ball.

He already knows the distinct sound of a treat bag too.  Oh, and one more thing.  Jesse has always been our ice cube dog. If he hears someone rummaging for ice, he runs to the kitchen for one.  Alias is an ice cube dog too.  When ever they hear the clink of ice, or hear one drop to the floor, they both come running.

However, Alias has a wee bit of degenerating eye site.  He mistakenly tried to nibble our 14 year-old's toe for an ice cube when he was searching the floor for one - ha ha ha!  Poor guy.  We are giving him some sweet potatoes and other good veggies when we can, for his eyes.

Here, Alias decided to relax on my pillow, before I had a chance to get into bed.  He's sporting his military bandanna.


And along side him was Tiger.


And Jesse.  I'd say he's fitting right in.  I didn't get a photo of Sadie, as she was in her Momma's lap at the time, getting some lovin'.  My daughter came over for a visit, so Sadie, her dog, was glued to her most of the night.  

After a few days, we also saw that Sadie had become the "boss" of the clan.  She only has to let out a teensy low growl to let the other two know that she's in charge.

Comments

Anonymous said…
what a cutie pie! :D
Hugs,
Beth P
Mama Pea said…
What a heart-warming story about Alias. I didn't realize he was as old as he is. What a wonderful last half of his life he's having with you and your family.
Sam I Am...... said…
How heartwarming to hear about all your family pets. What a great thing to adopt an older dog. He's a handsome boy too!
Aw... that is a sweet story about Alias. Glad he is fitting into your family. He seems like a dear and maybe in a short while he know the rules better and won't be hoggin all the french toast. LOL...
Trouble never learned not to snatch and grab. She wasn't allowed in the house or eating areas...when we were eating, because of it.
Buster is learning...he does much better and hasn't grabbed food from the grankids since he was much smaller.
Though since Trouble died last week...he has been acting out. :/
Pat
EMMA said…
What fine healthy looking animals. Have you tried blueberries, apparently they are good for the eyesite.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart