Skip to main content

Pear Walnut Bread


I adapted this recipe from a few other bread recipes.  It's family approved.  I used my homemade vanilla, locally grown walnuts, and our very own pears and eggs.  Yum.  Last year I canned organic applesauce as well.  I haven't yet this year however.  I sprayed my pans with organic canola oil spray.  I think the 3 pears I cut up, amounted to about 2 1/2 cups.


Pear Walnut Bread
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
3 eggs
3 pears, peeled, cored and diced
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

In a med. mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar and eggs. Beat well.  Stir in pears and walnuts.

Stir dry ingredients into the pear mixture.  Combine well.  Pour batter into 2 - 8 x 4 in. prepared loaf pans.

Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).  Leave in pans on cooling racks for about 10-12 minutes.  Remove the bread from the pans to cool completely, and enjoy! 


Homemade Vanilla Extract
1 cup vodka
5 vanilla beans

Slice vanilla beans lengthwise, add both ingredients to a pint canning jar.  Place a lid on the jar.  Place the jars in a cool, dark location, and shake daily.  After 3 months or longer, strain the vanilla, and bottle.  I use a natural coffee filter to strain mine through a strainer.  I bottle it in brown glass jars.

Recipe is compliments from Michele's Little Piece of Heaven.

I have also seen where folks have simply added vanilla beans to the bottle of vodka.  I'm not sure on amounts, but it's been done that way as well.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
That looks yummy and what a feeling that must be that everything came from your farm!
Michelle said…
Have to try this. I love Pears.I wanted to let you know I am doing another game/ give away. This time it will be a hidden object game. Hope you can join us.
Candy C. said…
I've really been enjoying all your pear recipes! This one looks like another winner! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart