Skip to main content

Fall is Still Lingering

The kids are out of school today and tomorrow.  We are all guilty of having the "sleepy head" syndrome.  All, but Hubby of course, who groggily went to work.  I, for the first time (other than when sick), slept in until almost 10am.  Yikes!  My 14 year-old actually thought something was wrong with me, ha ha!  Gracious, I am so far behind now.  But you know what?  It felt kind of nice to just take it easy.  Besides, we got a lot done over the weekend. 


Yesterday, we piled firewood on the porch, and (gulp!) fired up the wood stove.  Yep. You heard me right.  After Hubby consulted with a welder, and of course read the umpteen posts online regarding cast iron stoves, he said we are not replacing it.  And the shocker was that we were to use it as is.  We will of course either replace our stove pipe, or install a pellet stove next year (or simply replace the stove piping).  Which reminds me, I need to buy new fire extinguishers. 

In the meantime, I am restocking the emergency fund, and we'll make more decisions after this winter.  So far, there is no smoke coming into the house.  It's warming up nicely in here now.

Hubby tackled his "to-do" list again, and we are once again back on track with preparing for winter.  He completely finished the corner of the barn we re-roofed, cleaned up that same barn, and so forth.  We have to repair two barn doors on the goat/chicken barn yet, but made good progress this weekend.  It's tough when he works full-time, and many nights overtime.  And now the evenings get darker faster, making weeknight work more difficult.

Today, it's a must to replace batteries in smoke alarms, and in the carbon monoxide detector.  We invested in rechargeable batteries for two types of batteries, and it's been a huge cost saver for us.

I had to put our "no trespassing" sign back up on the big barn.  We've had an actual car (not just park on the road and walk back to the woods) drive in between the field and the property, and that barn is unsafe now.  Another beam broke and who knows if it will just fall on it's own.

My eyes are now scorned.  You'd think I was used to it, but I'm not.  I walked a strainer full of goat goodies to the barn, and happened to see my daughter out breeding Misty with Orion (goats).  She got a good laugh at my reaction.  

Shocked to not see another "pear" experimental recipe lately?  Ah, just taking a break from it I think.  You may just see one yet.

One last note.  Three girls need snow boots this winter.  One, more so than the others, as she cares for her goats.  In a search from new boots, I found very little in stores, that are affordable and practical for snow.  Typically, snow boots are out in stores before summer is over.  Not this year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart