Skip to main content

Healthy Breakfast Sides


I'm cutting breakfast costs down, by eliminating organic/natural boxed breakfast cereals.  That cuts down on buying organic milk as well.  

That leaves breakfast to some type of egg dish, because our faithful chickens are supplying us an abundance right now.  So, in search for a veggie side (that was not a bread or meat, or a vegetable mixed into the eggs) that I can add to scrambled eggs, I found several.

It's tough to find time to roast vegetables, so I roasted them for dinner, making extra for leftovers.  Then I simply re-heat them as a side for breakfast.

What did we try?


We roasted Beets n' Sweets first (pictured above).  It's a combination of beets, sweet potatoes and onions.  The results?  Delicious.  It's a combination of beets, sweet potatoes, onions, and garlic powder.  I followed the recipe (linked), but did not add the sugar, and used a regular yellow onion. And of course, I used my homemade garlic powder.  These went so fast, I almost didn't have any leftover for breakfast the next day.  This was a very colorful dish too.


Next, we tried a root vegetable hash recipe from Clean Eating.  I did not poach the eggs, and simply cooked them over easy.  It's basically up to you on this recipe.  I did not have grape seed oil, so I used olive oil (what I had on hand).  Honestly, I think 1 jalapeno was not enough to flavor this side, but everyone ate it.  Again, it's a very colorful, and healthy side dish.

The best part of this recipe?  You can boil up your sweet potatoes and parsnips a few days ahead of time.



Next, we tried Hot and Sour Swiss Chard (also from Clean Eating).  I doubled the recipe, and used 1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes (but could have cut back a teensy bit on it).  Most of the kids tried it and liked it, and we thought it would be a nice leftover to mix into scrambled eggs as well as a side.  It does have a wonderful sweet/sour "thing" going on with it.  The honey/apple cider creates a unique flavor.

Comments

EMMA said…
This would fit right into my whole30 breakfasts!!
Candy C. said…
I would really like that root vegetable hash with the poached egg! YUM!!
Hubby was just telling me the other day that when he eats cereal for breakfast, he ends up being hungry all day long. I think you are much better off with a protein and either some vegetables or fruit. I have done a mixed fruit salad a couple of times recently with a honey/lime dressing.
Kim said…
I have got to try the first combo, I just love roasted root veggies.
Sam I Am...... said…
Those all sound great and especially the one with the beets as I love beets. I am eating oatmeal in the morning and I'm loving it especially since it has gotten so cold here.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart