Skip to main content

Last Day of July

 


Remember the empty jars piling up?

I checked butterfly pea flower facial toner off the to-do list.  One flower per every 1/2 cup of witch hazel (let sit overnight).



Once infused, strained, and only a small bit of glycerin added, it's bottled up to use.  The most easiest thing you can make for yourself.  I have been using it for more than a year, and I have a travel bottle to take it on any sort of overnight trip as well.  

I still need to make more handmade items to re-stock, however, I was also able to get my homemade hair detangler made.  My hair is loving it.


The cucumbers are rolling in now, and I dug out my vegetable chopper, but it's now in the trash sadly.


The top part that is pushed down to send the vegetable into the metal slicer, and then into the catch tray, broke off some plastic pieces (and I can no longer use it).  In hindsight, I should have thought of that before buying it, but it last a few years.  The top parts are not removeable, other than a piece that you slide off to remove any debris.  I sort of liked this chopper, so I'm on the hunt for one that is not "plastic" on the top under part.  If you know of one, or have one that has been good for you, please comment below.  The only downside for me, was extra dishes.

Thankfully, I noticed it, and fished out the black plastic nubs that broke off (ugh).  By the way, I used this thing a lot of times, so it could be just from so many days of using it, but I have not seen any of these box choppers made with metal top undersides.  The next best thing I guess is the hand chopper from Pampered Chef (metal cutting blades), but the plastic outer clear attachment often breaks over time as well.


A cucumber salad made with the above chopper.  


A cucumber hand cut with a knife.  Looks the same, uses less tools, may take a slight bit more time, but for now that's how I am cutting up my salads.  By the way this particular one was diced up to top hummus with (and delicious).  We are getting very creative with using up the cucumbers, because someone planted a wee bit too many for two people (ha ha ha!).

The jalapenos are starting on finally.  Hard to believe it's July 30th, and we are just now picking a few of them.  Again, the craziest, latest harvest year ever I think.

My lemon balm is doing fantastic in this heat (heat advisory), but not so much for the peppermint and spearmint plants.  I don't think my mint plants like the heat, other than my catnip potted plant (it's doing fantastic as well).

I planted borage and rosemary in the squash this year, to deter squash bugs.  I do have squash bugs, but in the plants where nothing was planted in between them (I rotated the borage and rosemary between plants).  I missed one section, so the plants had nothing in the middle, but along the sides.  Everything else is bug free.  So now that we have borage, what should I use it for? Has anyone cooked with it?




(most recent granny square made for the book blanket)

Update on the book blanket I am crocheting - all of the finished granny squares have been crocheted onto the blanket!  I just have to sew in the ends to catch up, unless I finish the next book, ha ha!

Canning?  Nope.  Not yet, but it may happen soon, so July is going by with zero garden canning.  I'll be digging out a few recipes to double check ingredient lists.

As July ends, and I look back at all our successes and joys, I am looking forward to more next month.   Yes, there are regrets for things not "done" and adventures not taken (out of our control), but we are moving forward with good vibes, thoughts and prayers for future happenings, and future decisions.

Praying for a fantastic August ahead.  Happy blogging!



Comments

Cucumbers are the the watermelon of vegetables. 🤔 Makes sense to me!
Debby @ My Shasta Home, we love cucumbers, and boy do I look forward to them right out of the garden too. Yum.
R's Rue said…
I love cucumbers. Have a great day.
I enjoy my veg chopper, but it's made of plastic, too. It does make it go faster. I'm going to go look at your book blanket post.
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
R's Rue, that's awesome. Thank you! You have a great day too.
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage, I have a #2 post with a slight update in progress a while back. I've since then added to the blanket.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart