Skip to main content

Homemade Diced Chili Peppers (Anaheim Peppers)

 Yes, you can buy cans of chili peppers for about $.70 and up, but there is nothing better than homemade diced chili peppers.  A small 4 oz. can of organic diced chili peppers are costing about $2.19 a can in our area now.

I have had this on my "try it" list since last garden season, and had intentions of canning them.  I am "on the fence" with canning them for now.  I'll explain.



How I made our chili peppers - picked larger fresh Anaheim peppers from the garden.  Washed them, dried them, cut off stems, sliced them in half lengthwise, and cleaned out the ribs and seeds.


I placed them all cut side down on a parchment paper lined baking dish, and roasted them in a pre-heated oven at 450°F.  I, however, decided to reduce the heat to 400 before placing the baking sheet in the oven.  I roasted my peppers for about 20 minutes, until the skins were bubbly (watch them so they do not burn).  These smelled fantastic right out of the oven!



I removed them from the parchment paper, and put them into a bowl, covering them with a towel. I let them cool for about 20-30 minutes.  I then removed the skins from the roasted peppers.



I simply diced those peppers and added salt to taste.  This particular batch made enough chili peppers for homemade chicken quesadillas, but you could put them in the fridge and use later.  I have yet to experiment with freezing them, but this batch was about equivalent to a 7 oz. can you buy in the store.  It takes a lot of peppers, so if I want to can them, it would take way more Anaheim peppers than we planted this year.  

Overall, it was a new garden-to-table accomplishment, that was a new one for this year.  I will be planting more Anaheim peppers next year.  They are high in vitamin C (from my research), and many other nutrients.

What's new in your garden this year?


Comments

I have frozen chopped chilies with a decent amount if success. I put them in mounds to equal a small can of chilies on a parchment covered baking sheet, freeze them, then put all the mounds in the same freezer bag. When I need them I just take out one of the frozen mounds to use
Anne in the kitchen, thank you for this information, as that is pretty much want I want to do this summer. I'm hoping for enough harvest to do that. I think I planted maybe 6 Anaheim plants, so it's not a grand amount. I'm thrilled with the flavor, and I used canned chili peppers quite often.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart