Skip to main content

Hot and Muggy

 

The heat remains muggy and in the 90's.  The air is very thick most days.  The rain has returned, and not left yet.  I took a look-see at the gardens, and weeding ( a lot of weeding)  will be top of the to-do list.  The tomatoes, that I tied up last Thursday, have grown another foot, and will need re-tied.


Last Thursday, while working in the tomato patch, I thinned the radishes, but that's all that we are able to harvest so far. 


One day the rain cooled the air just enough to grill burgers, but the bugs were a nuisance.  We are still enjoying pickled red onions.  I'll definitely keep a jar in the fridge on an on-going
basis.





Comments

Katie C. said…
Have you tried roasted or sautéed radishes? I just made them recently for the first time. Yummy! I also got reminded, from a post on the 66 Square Feet (Plus) blog, about three bean salad. I’m going to get the ingredients and make it for the Fourth of July. Great salad and you don’t have to worry about mayonnaise in the heat since it uses a vinaigrette. I like to use green beans, wax beans and kidney beans. I also add bell pepper and celery for crunch. Oh, and parsley
Rebecca Knox said…
It's the same here, Kristina...wet, muggy, and hot. My yard is totally out of control and it's been too wet to plant a garden. Your radishes look nice! I'm glad you're getting a harvest despite all this crazy weather. Have never tried pickled onions. Bet they're good! Blessings, my friend! Have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Betsy said…
Oh my goodness. It is so hot and muggy here too. I can't bear to be outside for more than a minute or two. Even then my hair is soaked and dripping with perspiration. I just don't do well in the humidity.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Katie C. yes we make what I call radish hashbrowns and they are delicious. I will look up that salad. Sounds interesting.
Rebecca Knox, we are so ready for a cool down, but it's not in sight just yet. I would love the humidity to settle down. The garden weeds are out of control, because I cannot garden for a good length of time in this heat (and then wet days).
Betsy, it is terribly humid, and hot. Then the rain moved in too. I spent 2 hours tying up tomatoes one day, only for rain the next 3 days, so the weeding of the garden is so behind in getting done.
Hot and humid here too and stormy!
Far Side of Fifty, it's been a very hot summer this year.
R's Rue said…
It is hot here. I love the radishes.
Latane Barton said…
It cooled off here (Virginia) so I sat on my balcony last night and watched the fireworks being shot off downtown.. A bit of a distance but I enjoyed them.
R's Rue, it's our first year to get a good radish harvest in several years. We are so happy.
Latane Barton, that is great you had a very convenient and fun view of the fireworks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart