Skip to main content

Growing Turmeric Root ~ Lemon Balm Tincture

 


A "first time" for us this year.  Growing turmeric root.  The roots I ordered arrived (very late however), so they were planted in a large pot indoors for now.  I originally planned to plant them individually in small pots, but decided on the big pot.  I can water them all in one pot, watch them over, and see if they will grow as they are said to grow.  Each root has a sprout, and that is needed before you plant them.  

I can dig them up later, and plant in more individual pots.  I'm not planting them outside, as we have zero room in the gardens this year (and they would need brought in for winter too).  

I'm excited to see how this all goes for us.  


A "first time" this year as well, is making lemon balm tincture.  I make a few tinctures over summer months (you need fresh herbs vs. dried) for a powerful tincture.  I may have, maybe one more "new first" using lemon balm this year.  More on that later if it transpires.

Over the years we have experimented with several tinctures, and narrowed our making down to to ones we actually find useful.  Sage tincture comes in very handy for a sore throat, if you are home alone or very sick and do not have the energy to make sage tea (or other tea).

I love making oregano infused oil for several uses, but I'm wondering if oregano tincture would be useful?  I don't know anyone who even makes tinctures.  I will need to do more research on if it's worth it.  Until then, I will keep dehydrating it for culinary uses.

Growing Turmeric Root ~ Lemon Balm Tincture ©  July 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Katie C. said…
I recently harvested four huge batches of oregano. I have the bundles hanging upside down from two plastic hangers with binder clips. They’re in the hall guest bathroom because Sophie kitty has a fondness for playing soccer with it 🙄 The bathroom smells like a pizza parlor.
It’s all so interesting. I have no idea of any of that.
Katie C. ha ha! Yeah, the oregano will smell fantastic.
Debby @ My Shasta Home, it is interesting. I have never planted turmeric before. I have had the oregano for more than 20 years however.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart