Skip to main content

This and That

 

Two weeks ago we had another heat wave, bringing temperatures up to 104 degrees.  It was very, very humid too.  Following that, we got 5 days of rain.  Good for the garden.  Bad for the weed problems.  We just go with "the flow" of things and do the best we can.

Humidity has been about 100% lately.  The thickness in the air almost takes your breath away.  Too hot and humid for anything outdoors.


Harvested our very first zucchini July 23rd, and our very first yellow squash July 24th (a late harvest year).  They both went into breakfast, and my husband was delighted with his go-to breakfast - Eggs from the ladies, roasted squash with onion and herbs from the herb garden, and smoked bacon from an area butcher store (a breakfast win from the freezer).  So good!

I am making a meat re-stock list of course, but the meals created by randomly picking freezer items has been fun and successful.  I did, however (gulp), find a few bags of frozen green beans from 2023 stuffed into the back of one shelf.  We had a bumper crop that year.

Harvested our first handful of cherry tomatoes July 25th.  I think we may have a chipmunk eating the very low tomatoes.  It could easily get into the fence, so we (gulp) purchased some rodent netting and wrapped the lower fencing for now.  Protecting the garden is becoming expensive.


First basketful harvest of the season and we are almost at the very end of July.  What a strange garden year.  It's almost August.



New to the garden this year - Cocozelle Zucchini.  



No new book blanket granny squares, and no books finished for that matter.  I, however, started another baby blanket.  The last if this particular yarn.  I am behind on the book blanket, and have not started any lap afghans to donate just yet.  The goal is to just get this baby blanket done first.


Everything seems to be running out at the same time as the end of July approaches.  I'll be making several re-stock items that I have found to be my/our favorites.  I am out of witch hazel, and now I am on the hunt to find some sold in stores. 

In the meantime, I have a growing list of to-do's pertaining to the garden, re-stocking freezer foods (thankfully blueberries are done for this season), and the like.  Dehydrating herbs continues as well. 

Have you ever heard of boiling corn on the cob with milk and butter in a large pot?  I'm just learning this, but with just us two, I have not tried it.  Apparently, it creates a very sweet corn, and as you lift the cob from the pot, it butters itself with the butter added to the pot.  

This and That   ©  July 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Katie C. said…
You’re right, the garden has been running slow this year. The spring cold weather forced us to put the plants in late. We are just getting tomatoes but we are fighting the raccoons for them so I have been picking them before they are fully ripe.

Never heard of using milk and butter in water to cook the corn. I would probably try the butter but not the milk.
Katie C. I agree on the milk, plus organic is expensive (no goat milk available near us). Sorry to hear about the raccoons. They sure can be a pest some years.
Betsy said…
We are enjoying no humidity here in Spokane. Such a huge change from our normal life in Nebraska! It IS hot though.
I've heard from a lot of people that gardens a late this year.
I like your new blanket! My new one is pink and white.
Blessings,
Betsy
My aunt had 8 children and she always did corn this way, though she used dried powdered milk and water instead of regular milk. It was the easiest way to have a ton of corn completely ready at one time.
Leigh said…
Your harvest basket looks really good! Your temps beat ours but we're right there with you on the humidity. At least you're getting a good rain after the heat. We finally got rain late yesterday so I'm hoping it's perked up the garden.
Betsy, they say the temps should go down by the weekend, but we are still getting a heat advisory with humidity. Gardening days are zero or very short lately. Thanks, I plan on looking into new patterns after this one baby blanket is done.
Anne in the kitchen, using powdered milk would save money for sure, and yes, I read it as a good way to feed groups of people. Very interesting way to make it.
Leigh, thanks, it is a very, very late harvest year. Two years ago, on July 30th, I was yanking the cucumber plants as they were done with their harvest. This year, it's just starting to produce. Very crazy.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart