Skip to main content

Whirlwind

 Like most garden summers, it's been a whirlwind of activity.  Weeding is hit or miss with the recent downpours and storms here lately.  I can't complain for not having to water anything.  Somehow, in between storms, the mowing and trimming got done.

(leaves are bigger than my hand this year- woohoo to a great crop)

The Red Russian Kale I planted, did very well this year.  I harvested a pretty good lot already.  The kale we grow has a less bitter taste, and more favorable for fresh salads or topping a sandwich.  The frozen kale will be used for smoothies, soups, stews, casseroles, breakfast casseroles and anything I can add greens to add more nutrition.

However, pint freezer bags are very hard to find in our area.  Just a few places sell them.  One year, I was lucky to snag a "bulk" box of them at a nearby Menards (not available this year).

I am still getting a few more radishes, and the Swiss chard is doing great this year.  Everything else in the garden is about 2 weeks or more behind compared to last year.

I got my refund on the stainless steel tomato strainer.  I have not had any thoughts on new resources.

I mended a few pairs of pants, and ran necessary errands, and booked appointments with a new optometrist (based on recommendations).  Our current optometrist wants 6 month visits for contacts and will only write 1 year on prescriptions for glasses (my husband's work will reimburse every 2 years, like most prescriptions for glasses are generally written).  Our family physician retired, so we are having to find a new one there too.  Appointments for "new" patients have a long waitlist too. 

I exchanged 3 books for one (not a bad deal on reducing my bookshelf).  

I went to a local area Dollar Tree for some scrub brushes, and while I was there, I thought I would pick up some more tin pans for the chicken's treats.  The store raised the prices on the tin pans to $1.75 now.  I'll be buying inexpensive bowls and just washing them out over summer instead.  Besides, the ladies tend to smash up the tin after about 3 or 4 treat days.

Meanwhile. . .

Someone is going to all of the free little libraries in one nearby town, and taking out all of the books (or most of them), and replacing them with a bunch of Bibles.  I don't care what belief you have, but seriously???  It always takes one person to ruin a community project that is fun and free.  There has been a volunteer to check those free libraries now.  I have donated more books to those little libraries than to other places lately.

On a side note about little libraries . . .I found an out reach program that puts books, journals, pens, bookmarks etc inside the little libraries every once in a while at part of "service day" with their churches.  Guess who found some bookmarks in a box of misc. stuff?  Yep.  I'll be going thru all of my crafted items leftover, and sending those bookmarks into their new homes soon.  I may even have a few unfinished crocheted bookmarks too.  It's on my charity list, as well as getting back to crocheting more lap afghans this next fall.

Rain is back again this week, but the mornings are in the low 70's, making outdoor work much more comfortable.

I'm on the lookout for seeds to plant yellow cone flowers in the flower beds next year.  The type that grows 3-5 feet.  We used to have them growing here, and we do miss them.

I tried a new pumpkin pancake recipe and loved it.  It used organic Greek yogurt, pumpkin from the freezer (last year's garden), a very small bit of flour (I swapped it for Einkorn flour), and we loved them.  It was a small batch recipe too, which is a win-win for us. Oh, it used some old fashioned oats too in the recipe.

Until next time. . .


Comments

Betsy said…
How sad that someone would do that at the libraries. I'm all for sharing Bibles with anyone, but to take the other books out? Nope. The bookmarks, pens, etc. sound like a great addition too. I haven't seen any of the libraries around here but there were several that I knew about in Spokane. There is a lot that I miss about living there, but I sure enjoy being close to our daughter's family and. my sister here.
Have a wonderful Tuesday my friend.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, I never thought of putting bookmarks in a little free library either. It all sounds a bit of a fun surprise too. I find the free little libraries at some of the campgrounds we've stayed at, local towns we visited, as well as around the local area. There was a website where they could register their library, so people could donate to them and use them. Blessings and hugs to you too.
Oh that is sad about the little libraries. Why would they take all the books??? Unbelievable.
Far Side of Fifty, it is very sad that one person can ruin something for the community. One area town lost their free food pantry (set up like a little library, but for food), because teenagers were vandalizing it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart