Skip to main content

Random Bits

 



(A Year of Positive Thinking, by Cundie Spiegel)


Picked this in the rain.  So thankful for the harvest.




I restocked our homemade condensed mushroom soup.  It is so good, it is so worth the time to make it and freeze it for quick access while cooking.  It's just shallots, fresh mushrooms, butter, a bit of flour, milk and vegetable broth, a bit of black pepper (organic/non-gmo ingredients) and that's it.  I always salt everything while cooking, so I do not add salt.  So good.  I would have had 5 "cans" in the freezer, but I ran out of shallots.


Current library loot.  I am so far behind on reading these, and/or simply looking for what I am looking for, that it's crazy.  I have been doing "stuff" and rather busy, despite rainy days.

Random Bits  ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

The mushroom soup looks delicious. I bet it totally improves the flavor in recipes calling for canned cream of mushroom soup.

Beautiful asparagus. I have always thought they were peculiar looking vegetable as a child and wouldn’t touch them. Now I can see them in a more “grown up” way.
Betsy said…
I know I could make my own, but I use a LOT of canned mushroom soup. Tonight we had chicken in the crockpot with the soup, dried onions, garlic, salt and pepper. It was really good. I had made a pea salad a couple of days ago that we've been eating every night and finished tonight. A perfect warm day meal.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Debby @ My Shasta Home, I don't even think my Mom cooked asparagus for us growing up . Somehow I fell in love with vegetables when I grew my first garden. I do learn about new vegetables even so, like rutabagas (tried those a few years back and learn to freeze them).
Betsy, yes, mushroom soup can make a lot of recipes and meals for sure. Pea salad on hot days is a nice side salad too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart