Skip to main content

More Rain ~ Garden Prep

 I'm posting a bit late this morning.  I am so worn out and tired, and have not even planted the actual vegetable garden yet.  I got parsley planted in the herb garden, and I see my seeds that I planted for everything else are coming up nicely, other than feverfew.




I brought in more asparagus.  The one good thing about all this rain.  The rest of the fencing was pulled, so we can till the garden now.  Our tiller is not working (of course it's not), and my husband's work hours don't give him the time to fix it.  I have no clue what's wrong with it.  All we know is that we need the garden tilled, and the tiller fixed.  We may have to resort to hiring someone this garden season.

There were to be bad storms around midnight last night, so I ran around after garden work, laundry and did storm prep (in case we lose power).  If you have never had a property with a well, you won't know that if the power goes out, your well pump won't pump water (hence why people have hand pumps installed) - no water to water your animals, no water to wash dishes and clothes, no water to flush toilets etc.  I also charged batteries (runs a smaller generator), and any/and all chargeable lamp light bulbs, and lamps.  

I also took down my windmills, so they would not be destroyed by wind.  By the way, the mole chasing windmills do work.  My windmill out by the vegetable garden broke last year, and there were tunnels everywhere inside the garden.  When the windmill was up, there were no tunnels inside the garden (or within an area of where we put it).

The odd thing, is either the storm never came, or it wasn't as bad last night. Or we were both dead tired, ha ha!  Neither of us heard much.  It appears to be somewhat dry out too, and I do not see heavy puddles of water either.  

It got up into the 80's yesterday, with a heavy humidity in the air.  It should be a bit cooler today, but you never know.

In between work outside, I was running inside to fetch laundry to put on the clothesline, and cook a breakfast (had to thaw some sausage).  I am so glad I made my homemade facial toner.  As you can see if removes dirt from your face.  It's a very nice refresher when I come inside, and have to work a bit, then go back out.  If you haven't made it, the post is HERE (Butterfly Pea Flower Skin Toner) on this blog.

More Rain ~ Garden Prep   ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Those mole chasing windmills are intriguing. Last year we had burrowing rats that had quite an underground tunnel system. We haven’t seen any but the windmills sounds like a good deterrent.
Betsy said…
We're having wind, windy and more wind here. Rain is supposed to begin on Sunday for a few days and I sure home the weather guy is right. We need it. I'm jealous of your asparagus. It looks delicious.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Debby the windmills are for sale online at Lehman's hardware. I think I saw them also available thru Amazon from the same store. They are called mole-chasing windmills. You put them together yourself, and buy a grounding rod. You install the grounding rod and top the windmill on top. The vibrations keep them away.
Betsy, we typically get a lot of spring wind after a lot of rain, so I'm prepared. Thanks, asparagus is so easy to grow, but you do need to wait a few years to harvest after the first planting.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart