Skip to main content

Chive Blossoms ~ Infused Vinegar ~ Dehydrated ~ Chive Blossom Powder

Just when I thought I would have zero blog content to post, my brain zero's in on something new to me.  Dehydrating chive blossoms is not new to me.  However, using them in a new way is new to us.

Of course, you will need a somewhat larger patch of chives in your herb garden to be able to do this.  We allowed our chives to go to seed for several years.  Did you know that one chive blossom can contain up to 120 or so seeds?  


Each of the tiny flowers in the chive blossoms can contain about 1-3 seeds each.

 I have used fresh chive tops to infuse into oil in the past (leave chive tops to dry before infusing), but I have not made infused vinegar or used them for other dishes (have added them to baked egg breakfast dishes).

Most salad dressings we make here, use red wine vinegar, and most recipes to infuse the chive blossoms into vinegar, call for white wine vinegar.  


A new "first" time for us - I am making us an infused white wine vinegar.

I will use it for salad dressings, for cooking greens (like kale,, collards and turnip greens etc.), and for other uses.  I will also try it on marinated boneless chicken, when I do a sheet pan dinner.

Not the best photo, but you can see it's infusing to a beautiful pink color. I'll post a photo later when I have strained the blossoms out of the vinegar. 

Oh, I have also read online that you can infuse the chive blossoms in Apple Cider Vinegar.  I will definitely try that if we get enough blossoms (information on that is online with LearningHerbs).


Next up, for another "first" for us?

(You can dehydrate the chive blossoms whole or pulled apart, depending on your dehydrating vessel {dehydrator, air fryer, oven etc.})


I am dehydrating the chive blossoms for the first year ever, to keep on  hand to top dishes with, mix into butters, cream cheese spreads, grind into powder for sauces/soups/dressings/dips, and the like.

You can eat these fresh.  I have pulled them apart to toss into an egg breakfast casserole, but they are delicious tossed into potato salad or your salads.  They have a delicious garlic/onion flavor.

I ground some of the dehydrated chive blossoms into a powder for the first time.  The color is almost a gray color oddly.   It will be interesting if these are a nice addition to meals.  They contain a lot of goodness and healthy needs for our bodies. 

Lastly, I found out you can make a tincture with the chive blossoms.  I had to look up what it would be administered for - decongestant.  I'm not making a tincture this year, as we have other tinctures, and teas on hand right now, but it is good to learn this "new" information.

By the way, the ground, dehydrated chive blossoms smell amazing!  I bet the ground version would make a delicious salt too.

Chive Blossoms ~ Infused Vinegar ~ Dehydrated ~ Chive Blossom Powder ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

The vinegar is beautiful. I would be tempted to pour some in a cruet along with a cruet of olive oil and set it on the table for a light self made dressing
Anne in the kitchen, that is a great idea. It's a very pretty color.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart