Skip to main content

34 Weeks Until Christmas

 


I tried a new recipe this month already - a spin on the traditional green bean casserole, but I left out the "fried onions" it called for.  I used homemade mushroom soup as well.

Recipe is from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  I adapted with organic ingredients, and of course, homemade condensed mushroom soup (it really is the best).

Results:  We love this casserole!!  Of course we had the delight of trying it with freshly picked, homegrown asparagus, so it will be on the meal rotation, as well as a welcome substitute casserole for the traditional green bean casserole at the holidays.

Note:  We both felt that 2 cups of asparagus were not enough.  I will be using more asparagus when we make this recipe again.  



If you saw my last Christmas countdown post, you read that I was making something handmade for the advent gifts next.

Here it is. . . 

I made a hand crocheted item to add to the advent gifts this Christmas - Dust cloths.  Yep.  I know they will be over joyed when they open them (not!), but they are useful, and the blanket yarn makes a very nice duster cloth.


I used Bernat Blanket Yarn, in the color Silver Steel.  The label suggests US 11 crochet hook or L.  I did not have either one, and did not want to buy a new hook, so I used an N crochet hook (I think it's a 10mm hook).

Yes, you can use the same yarn to crochet those duster cloths for the mop heads, and even the dust wands, but I kept it simple.


Here is how I crocheted mine (you can make then any size you want):

CH 15

SC in 2nd CH from hook, and SC in remaining (14)  I crochet into the back bump, so when I go to do the edging, it's more even, and looks better.  


Rows 2-15:  Turn CH 1, SC in each 


Do not cut yarn.  CH1, 3 SC in corner, and SC all around edging evenly, SL into last, cut yarn and sew in ends.  Mine were about 9 x 9 inches or so.

(you can do your corners how ever you like, I used 3 SC to round out the corners)


If you have scraps of different colored blanket yarns, you could make the edging a different color (to use up those scraps, or just make the duster cloth a different color).

I do not have Word on my computer any longer, and have yet to figure out Google Docs (on the plan to check that out, just haven't needed it).

I had some labels leftover from craft show days, so I printed off some Avery labels, cut some card stock to wrap around the folded dust cloths, added the labels, and taped them on the back side.

                

All ready to be wrapped up.  Maybe it will entice them to clean house before the holidays, ha ha!  Either way, they are getting something handmade and useful.

The dust cloths are not just for gifting.  They are an inexpensive way to make your own (if you have the yarn).  If you crochet, and want to make some, the blanket yarn is about $3 less expensive at your Wal-mart.  Unless you can find it online for less than that, or get it free from a friend who just wants to get rid of some.

34 Weeks Until Christmas  ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

I have a work around for the chain one to begin the new row, search internet for bumps on turn row of crochet and how to eliminate them:)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart