Skip to main content

Dehydrated Asparagus Powder (woody ends)

It's been raining here since last Thursday, so that makes 7 days of rain straight in a row.  Some days, partial day rain, and others full out thunderstorms. Some days it's been so cold we need jackets, so there has been no good time to work on the gardens (any of them).  A few days the rain has let up, and we got to see a teensy bit of sunlight, but most days have been misty, foggy, rainy, and gray skies.  Oh and colder.  I'm getting a wee bit concerned about planting the garden.  They posted a flood advisory Monday night.

The asparagus patch is about to the end of the harvest season for us.  Although the rain brought up a few more stragglers for us to enjoy.



 May started out with another new "first" for me.  I dehydrated the woody ends, leftover from the asparagus we recently prepared.  You can simply save them in the freezer for soup, but those bags can get buried easily.  Does anyone actually remember they are in the freezer?


I do not know anyone who has dehydrated their woody asparagus ends, so I did as much reading on this as I could find. 

Everything said to blanch the asparagus first, to break down the fiber, for better results.  One Youtube video said to not use an ice bath on the woody ends after blanching, so they would continue to "cook" on the trays as they dehydrate.

A lot of our very first asparagus planting grows up much thicker than the newest plantings, so I sliced those pieces smaller to dehydrate better.

I blanched the woody ends (not to waste them, or you could compost them too), and they were dehydrated, and then ground into a powder.



I'm storing it in a canning jar and vacuum sealing it for now, and adding to it as the asparagus rolls in.  I'm thinking cream of asparagus soup, adding it to any soup or stew, adding to any breakfast or dinner casserole, and it can even be added to homemade taco seasoning.  Nothing wasted, and nothing buried in the freezer.

Comments

Leigh said…
This is a brilliant idea! There's nothing like dried powdered vegetables to add taste and nutrition to all kinds of winter dishes.
Oh wow that sounds good. What a great idea. Could you use it as a dip? Or salad dressings?
That is interesting! Let us know how it works.
Debby @My Shasta Home, I am sure you could use it for both. Those are good ideas too.
Anne in the kitchen, yes, I will update.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart