Skip to main content

Garden Season Officially Begins

(although foggy, rain has stayed away for a few days here)

The garden hoses have been pulled out of storage.  It's a task for sure.  We require about 200 feet or so of garden hose to water our garden.

Our very first garden was pretty small.  Our farmhouse had zero water spigots outside.  None.

We hauled water cans, and buckets in a wheeled cart to water it, and the garden flourished.

We have also unpacked the garden tool bags I take out to the garden, watering cans, solar chargeable motion sensor do-hickies that send out a high pitched noise to deter the squirrels etc.  The first year we put them out, we never saw one squirrel until we took them out for the season.  Some stopped working, but most are still solar charging. 

 

The gardens are tilled now, and one garden area fence is back in place.  Fencing has been acquired for the other garden (although it will not keep deer from jumping). 

We have successfully planted all of the tomato plants (about 4 varieties, but mostly San Marzano).  A few are not staked yet, and about 6 may or may not make it.  You never know, as the good ol' mother nature can revive just about any sad looking plant.

(note: it takes about 50 pounds of paste tomatoes to make one full batch of canned tomato sauce).

Paste tomatoes are the type of tomato needed for canning anything "sauce" related.  I'm talking about Tomato soup, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, taco sauce, ketchup, etc.  They are a meatier tomato.  They are the best for also canning stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and for canning tomato paste.  The are the better choice to freeze as well, for chili, stews, or other recipes.

The beef type tomatoes are planted for enjoying fresh mostly.  We enjoy them on salads, sandwiches, just eating alone, topping toasted bread, BLT's, etc.

Cherry type tomatoes are planted for simply enjoying fresh, adding to summer salads, and even dips.  They can be used for focaccia bread and a lot more. If we get an abundance, I can also dehydrate some.


Rain is possible, but the remainder of the garden is being planted, and fenced.  

If you are new to planting a vegetable/fruit garden, hardening the plants is a bit of work.  The plants are moved from indoors to outdoors daily, to adjust to the mother nature (wind, rain, sun, etc.)

The plants go out an hour the first day, then back in.  They go back and forth each day, increasing the time they spend outdoors, and by the time the plants are in the ground, they have acclimated to growing outdoors.


I have planted one new cilantro plant in the herb garden.  My feverfew seeds I planted early, may have been planted too early.  I plan to drop more seeds before the next rainfall.


The sage blooms are looking beautiful right now.

Just when I thought the asparagus harvest was done, the Good Lord gives us more.  


My resident herb garden snake does not look like it's moving on.  It seems to be very interested in staking it's claim to where it's currently located.  Until I have to weed that area, or harvest, we are letting it be (there must be some tasty bugs or rodents it's consuming).

We are praying that the tomato plants were not planted too early. We now see that our evening temperatures could dip to about 44-47°F all weekend.  However, the forecast looks like it will be the end of the cooler evenings, and summer is starting to move in.


Garden Season Officially Begins  ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Wishing you good luck with the tomatoes. The cool nights might increase the time it takes for the plants to bloom but should not harm them at all. Happy eating and sauce making!
Anne in the kitchen, every year the garden weather is different. Most years we have it all planted before the end of May. Not this year. It's been a strange, and much cooler May for us.
Debi said…
Your garden is looking good! Ours is just getting started. I planted a lot of San Marzanos too... they make a good sauce. Snakes totally freak me out but I have a grandson who loves them. So, if ever I find a snake in my garden I know just who to call to remove it!
Debi, one year, I went out to the garden in flip flops (never wore them out again), and as I reached to get some tomatoes, there was a snake curled up at the base of the plant I as at. Ugh.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart