Skip to main content

Summer Bean Salads



We tried a new white bean salad, using fresh herb garden parsley and rosemary from my herb garden.  The recipe is a winner for several reasons.  One, it is a small salad, so it's perfect for two people, and perfect for summer fresh herbs.  Two, for the small amount of ingredients, it packs a good flavor.  A few reviews stated to add some diced celery.  I may do that next time.  A keeper recipe.


Recipe is White Bean Salad (online). You can read the recipe, but to print it, the site requires you to sign up to "unlock" the print option. It's easy enough to simply write it on a recipe card.



Second bean salad to try using different beans. . .


Bean Salad
I got this recipe from my Dad years ago (he was into super foods and bought many recipe books pertaining to that focus).  I found it while cleaning out old recipe books and such in my kitchen.  I forgot all about it.  I doubt my Dad ever made this salad, but anyway.....


The salad requires a fresh tomato.  The other option is a can of tomatoes, drained. I found some TN tomatoes at our local produce stand.

We love this salad!  I do like the addition of celery, so I may be adding it to the other bean salad recipe too.  I'm wondering if adding some feta too would add more flavor?  

Here is the recipe on how I prepared this bean salad:

Here is the recipe:
1 can organic black beans, rinsed/drained
1 can organic navy beans, rinsed/drained
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 fresh tomato diced (or if you don't have one, one can of organic diced tomatoes, drained)
2 organic celery stalks, diced
2 Tablespoons, organic red wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
salt/pepper

Mix, and chill for about 2 hours before serving.

I think this would be great with some added diced green onions, chives, parsley or even cilantro from the herb garden.

It's delicious as a light lunch or a side dish and very similar to the other bean salad we tried.

Summer Bean Salads  ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart
 

Comments

Oh, those bean salads sound so good! I remember my Aunt Marion used to always make a three bean salad in the summer time for our family picnics. It always had celery, onions, and green pepper in it, and usually had yellow wax beans, grean beans, and kidney beans. I know some add garbanzo beans, which is fine, but I'm not a huge fan of them. I don't remember the exact amounts of the vinegar/oil mixture, so I'd have to look that up, but it sure was refreshing and good for a side dish at a picnic! Your recipes made me think of my Aunt Marion and now I want to make that bean salad! Thank you!
Pamela M. Steiner, glad I inspired you. I have an Aunt who brought a bean salad to a gathering one year, and it too, had green beans and kidney beans in it. I have yet to find her recipe. I may have to email her soon.
Betsy said…
The salad looks delicious.
Blessings,
Betsy
Leigh said…
I love bean salads, but I never make them. I think I need to change that.
Leigh, I love salads over summer, but I may make the bean version more often in winter too when we just don't feel like cooking. I love these for taking to potlucks now. Although we don't attend as many as we used to, it's nice to have tried them too.
Debi said…
Thanks for sharing the bean salad recipe. It sounds delicious!
Debi, you are welcome. We liked both recipes. Very easy to make and doesn't make a ton of salad either.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart