Skip to main content

Mashed Potato Squash ~ Roasting and Freezing Trial #1

 Mashed potato squash was a new garden treasure to grow last summer.  There is very little information about it online, and very little information if it freezes well.  

We do not have a root cellar, so as of now, freezing our roasted squash is are best option at preserving it for the winter months.


I roasted the last of our mashed potato squash, and allowed it to cool.  I scooped out the flesh and froze it.  I know it will thaw somewhat watery, as it is that way after roasting it.  

The plan will be to mix it with pureed squash, add it to tomato sauce, or other dishes.  I am not sure if it will not be solid enough to enjoy on it's own, after thawing.

I'll update as we thaw and use it in our meals.  I purposely waited to roast them, thinking it would help heat up this house.

Mashed Potato Squash ~ Roasting and Freezing Trial #1  © January 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Carol said…
I have never heard of this squash. I will research it more.
Betsy said…
I've never heard of mashed potato squash before. I'm curious as to the taste. It does look like mashed potates.
Blessings,
Betsy
Carol and Betsy, we grew it last year for the first time. It tastes better than real mashed potatoes when seasoned with salt, pepper and butter. We love it.
R's Rue said…
Yum. Looks good.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
R's Rue, they are very good.
Looks good and if it is like spaghetti squash which I love it freezes and gets a bit watery but I just pour that off after it is reheated:)
Far Side of Fifty, yes, the squash contains water, so it is thinner in consistency compared to real mashed potatoes. I don't even have to puree it in a food processor either. Just roast and scoop.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart