Skip to main content

What's Cooking?

 

It's been in the teens, and we are getting more snow.  It's 16 degrees this morning.  I'm thrilled to be getting about an egg a day again.  

We got more snow last night, but it's a wet snow.  According to the news weather report, there is another snow storm brewing up.

Breakfast side meat has been chicken breakfast patties, and we love them!  They are much better than the turkey ones, and are nice to enjoy between sage sausage and bacon.  If you haven't tried them, they are delicious on their own or in a breakfast sandwich.



We tried a new crockpot recipe for black eye peas and ham.  I added collards to it and it was fantastic.  I used the recipe from Skinnytaste online, but used a ham bone and diced ham both (because I had both in the freezer), and again, added collards.  It will be a keeper recipe for sure.  The red bell pepper and jalapeno were also both from the freezer (from last year's garden).

What's Cooking? © January 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Faith said…
I like these types of meals, they are hardy. We grew 1 collard plant year, and it flourished, harvested from it many times, we will be planting another this year.
Faith, we planted collards last year, but the drought and raised bed did not produce a harvest. Also, the bugs attacked them, despite trying neem spray. I am praying for a good harvest this year.
Betsy said…
That sounds delicious. I've never had black eyed peas and ham, or collards. Can you tell that I'm not from the south? :-)
Blessings,
Betsy
Betsy, we are not from the south either, and I'm so glad I tried it. We eat very little black eye peas, so we decided to give it a try. Very good too. I'm betting the ham bone helped the broth a lot.
Carol said…
That looks like a perfect southern cooked meal
Carol thanks. I am not a southern either ha ha! It is a keeper recipe for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart