Skip to main content

Animal Tracks in the Snow ~ Freezing Temps Prep

 

Coyote maybe.


Dog vs. Coyote (photo from Google)


Cat on the left, and possible coyote on the right.



Cat.




Birds. 



                                          
Raccoon again.


Although the snow is melting today (the thaw before the freeze), yesterday I was able to get some photos of more animal tracks in the snow.  I was most curious if my thoughts were correct, and that the coyote has made it's way to our property.  I have not seen it on our property yet, but I have seen a very fat raccoon.  To note about that, we have not seen a raccoon here in several years.  I'm guessing they are sensing that there is an extreme cold front coming, and the wild animals are all trying to fatten up.

There is a stray cat we have tried to feed, and have seen it many times since the day after Christmas.  The tracks lead all over the place.  I have a food shelter set up for it, but I do have to remember to bring the food bowl in at night.

Last night I forgot to bring the food bowl inside and low and behold, the big (and very fat) raccoon came up to he house to enjoy some of that cat food, ha ha!  A knock on the door did not even persuade that bugger to bug off. It was sort of funny if you ask me.  I remember when one of the kids used to name raccoons that kept stealing the cat food years ago.

Weekend preparations are being made for the upcoming surge of freezing temperatures.  

The list includes, making sure laundry is done, dishes are done, floors are swept and mopped, chargeable light bulbs charged, batteries charged, wood cut for the wood stove if needed, water in jugs (if needed to flush toilets, water the chickens or water for us - if the power goes out, the water pump to the well does not work), oil lamp oil in stock, and extra wicking, and so forth.  Oh, and extra straw in the coop for the chickens.   Bread and PB and J are always the back up meal plan for a power outage.  Out here we have to prepare for just about anything when the temperatures go to the extreme cold.

Animal Tracks in the Snow ~ Freezing Temps Prep © January 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
Lots of tracks there at your place. It's -4F here this morning and supposed to be even colder the next two days. It sounds as if you're as prepared at possible for the cold blast.
Blessings,
Betsy
Sandi said…
Are dog and coyote prints different?
It's 11 degrees here this morning, but we expect it to dip more as we head into the week. Thanks. We like to prepare for power outages during a very cold snap, as it has happened before. Also, more road accidents can cause downed power lines, when the road are icy.
Sandi, that is a good question. I am guessing, that the coyote or even possibly fox (we have talked about that), is that their nails could be longer than a stray dog, but I am not sure on that. I can say, that I have seen a coyote in the area, but not a fox.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart