Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Living room repairs underway. . .

 All the living room carpet has been ripped out, and about 1/4th of the floor as well.  We have it opened enough to access the situation, and well, we have a lot of work on our hands.  Old farm house problems, or should I say the last people cut corners causing us problems.....

Not the best photo, but we knew that there was an issue around the hearth where the woodstove is.  First discovery - they didn't use concrete anchors (or whatever you call them, can't remember what he called them).  Anyway, they did exactly what we thought.  Well, on one side anyway.  On one side they put in blocks with random stacks of wood that sank over the years, and on the other, there was literally nothing holding the floor up between last joist and hearth.

Our handy man got the underlayment boards removed, only to discover they literally put it on top of the houses original floor, and that was it.  Instead of removing the original floor, and replacing it with new, they covered it with thin underlayment boards and carpet.  Shaking my head.  The original flooring rotted, and our handy man almost fell thru in one area.  So we are removing the entire floor, fixing joists, removing broken joists, etc etc.  He's also using my truck to haul it all out of the house, so I am limited to a day to town for errands.

I'm running upstairs early this morning, just to make sure I have enough yarn for the week (or two).  I may not be able to access the stairway, and I cannot get into my office for anything (where the smaller pantry is as well).  Frustrating, but I know we will have peace of mind when it's finished.

We also discovered a huge random copper pipe under the floor.  The last source of heat was a boiler, and the pipes where just left under the floor.  I'm wondering how the pipes were left and no flooring was lifted out....anyway...

We also discovered there was one patch work done on the floor, letting us know they already had an issue but didn't take care of it properly.  

I'm shocked the floor never caved in when we hosted Christmas and had over 50 people in our house.

Half the living room is crammed into our kitchen, office and bedroom for the time being.  Pray we don't lose sanity and don't go broke getting the floor replaced.   I'm told some lumber prices have gone down.  Also pray that we get the old floor all out and at least subfloor all in by the weekend.  It is going to dip to the 20's by the weekend.


6 comments:

Debi said...

Oh my goodness! What a mess you have to deal with. I hope that it is all fixed quickly and doesn't break the bank. It will be so nice for you to know that it is all properly repaired and safe. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with no more surprises!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

oh my goodness, it all sounds like a complete nightmare! sending you lots of good wishes x

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, thanks, I'm prepared for more surprises, but yes hoping it's done soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jill, yeah it's been rough, and chaotic, but hoping it's done soon.

Susan said...

Oh, my! What an ordeal! It makes me crazy when people take such drastic shortcuts when building or remodeling. I'm glad that no one was hurt because of their negligence. Now I have to go back and catch up!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, we literally shake our heads at some of what they did. The last owner was a brother to a cement and cabinet company. Shaking my head all day long.